Gibson Brands Forums

490R & 498T

beowolverine93

What are the closest pickups I can get to the 490R and 498T that will fit my Strat? I'd prefer the 490R & 498T themselves but they won't fit in my Strat sadly. :(

you got 2 options,

1 buy a new pickguard that will accomodate humbuckers

2 490R and 498T are ceramic pups look for ceramic single coils

Since when??? Fact of the matter is ... 490R is Alnico2, 498T is Alnico5. Stock on many years worth of SG Standards ... awesome pickup combo!!!

True..........496R 500T are the ceramics............

For the O.P., darn.............There's many "stacked" humbuckers that fit into single coil slots......Try finding youtube sound clips..........

There's no real perfect solution, but, you might find some stacked HBs that work for you..............

What if I just routed my Strat out and got a new pickguard. Would the pickups align correctly with the strings and such?

Ya know what ??? Here's my thoughts.....So called "F" spacing for pickups is Fender spacing; wider than Gibby.....Now, I own many Fenders and Gibbys...

I took a good look at a HIGH QUALITY MIA Strat I have.....Heck, the strings don't even match up well to the magnets.....I measured a Gibby PU by holding

it against the Strat strings......To me, therefore, IMHO, the Gibby HB lines up better than the actual Fender stock PUs...So, IMHO, YES, it will work just

fine......IMHO, the magnetic field is wide enough to do perfectly fine.....I'm no guitar builder, but I've been playing for years and record on many levels......

So, yes, IMHO, it should work great.....You'll want to change out the tone/volume pots as well.......Do my thoughts help ???

"Switch."........Which switch ?? I only see those PUs in "Zebra"........I buy all of my PUs at "AmplifiedParts.".......You might email them with the color option

question.....I'm not sure if the bobbin tops are replaceable....( I've just recently begun studying PUs in depth )....A Gibby Zebra 496R I have is simply

a double black bobbin cover with one covered in a cream coloured sticker [confused] .....( I just noticed that )........

I'm not a switch expert..........$42.10 is rather high for what it is, and is probably used by those who want or "require" an actual Gibby part.......

Most everyone I know upgrades using "Switchcraft" parts.......

I'm not a switch expert..........$42.10 is rather high for what it is, and is probably used by those who want or "require" an actual Gibby part.......

Most everyone I know upgrades using "Switchcraft" parts.......

switchcraft are 'meant' to be stock on gibsons both the jack and toggle. There are no identifying marks though.

Switchcraft is the best so dont pay extra for the gibson packaging.

pots and caps need changing. by the sounds of it your going to need a custom made scratchplate too

[laugh] no worries, i was thinking, is he serious? lol i completely agree with you on your wiring choice i was thinking of doing the same on a custom build tele project im looking at doing this year after i gather the funds for my SG customisation project. IMO Gibson's best wiring spec was the 50's more tonal options. i personally use a 300k for the neck for a deeper tone and a 500k for the bridge.

if your transfering your gibson wiring my only advice is ditch the little ceramic caps in favour of some good quality ones. your tone knobs will thank you for it [thumbup]

Archived