Gibson Brands Forums

490t vs 498t for thrash/hardcore

outforblood

I have a stock 2001 Gibson SG Gothic that I really love... but, I am thinking on swapping the 490t for a 498t. I think the 490 keeps up pretty well through a 5150... does the 498t really sound that much better? Will it be worth the investment? I mean, I'm not in love with the 490, I think it's alright, sounds vintage and has killer lead tones. I know the 498t is higher output, but does that really make a difference going through a high gain amp?

Yes. It makes that much difference :P I have an SG special with the 490's, and a LP Studio with the 498T...and the 498T is much hotter, crunchier, fuller and not as harsh sounding.....it's just more of everything the 490 does! The 490 has great vintage Gibson rock tone. The 498T can crunch like nobody's business! And, if you roll the volume off on a 498T just a touch, you are able to get all the goodness you are used to from your current 490 :)

I also have an SG faded and a LP Studio and I actually really like the 490T for high gain stuff. It has mid range grunt and top end bite. While not wound as hot the 498T I find the 490T takes any amount of high gain you throw at it (effects or amp) very well and retains its clarity whereas the 498T could be said to have the tendency to mud up.

There is a lot less in pickup swaps than most people think. Spend some time experimenting with pole piece and overall pup height as well as amp and effect settings and I'm sure you'll achieve the tone you seek. Maybe add in a few lows and crank in some gain. Have you tried an EQ pedal, BTW?

i know its costly but i found the best way is to play as many pups as possible to find the ones that you really like. I went through 4 sets before i settled on my SD alnico 2 pro slash for my LP i'm looking to fit Bare Knuckles Mississipi Queens in my SG I love my vintage mids and swapped out my Nashville Bridge for a solid steel ABR-1 and Aluminum tailpiece to tighten up the wound strings and balance them with the single cores. That to me sorted out alot of tone and i can control the treble by my pick attack and volume pots

Archived