Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson (J35 2011)

Krister

I had the pleasure of being there when Ren Ferguson got to play one of these J-35s for the first time on Saturday night. He was completely wowed by how great this particular example turned out. Once it was in his hands, he didn't let go until his fingers were too worn out to play anymore, much to the delight of the owner. I'd played it a bit earlier, and decided that my rule of not buying a guitar without hearing it first might need modification, because passing on this one was a huge mistake!

-- Bob R

Bob,

How do the Luthier's Choice J-35's differ from the Fuller's J-35's? Is it more than the neck profile?

Red 333

How do the Luthier's Choice J-35's differ from the Fuller's J-35's? Is it more than the neck profile?

I'm not sure what the difference in the specs is, beyond the obvious difference in the necks. Quite possibly, there aren't any. Nonetheless, while the Fuller's J-35s are nice guitars, the Five Star J-35s are just awesome (judging from this one example). It sounds screwy, but guitars with Ren-built tops, and no other differences, just tend to be significantly better. I expect it has something to do with selection of materials, but also something to do with adjusting the bracing to suit the mechanical and tonal characteristics of the specific top. Whatever the reason, in every case I know of, paying extra for Ren to build the top resulted in a getting a really great guitar.

-- Bob R

I'm not sure what the difference in the specs is, beyond the obvious difference in the necks. Quite possibly, there aren't any. Nonetheless, while the Fuller's J-35s are nice guitars, the Five Star J-35s are just awesome (judging from this one example). It sounds screwy, but guitars with Ren-built tops, and no other differences, just tend to be significantly better. I expect it has something to do with selection of materials, but also something to do with adjusting the bracing to suit the mechanical and tonal characteristics of the specific top. Whatever the reason, in every case I know of, paying extra for Ren to build the top resulted in a getting a really great guitar.

-- Bob R

A couple of years after I got my Fuller's J-35, I was told by them that Gibson would no longer put the Luthier's Choice neck on their J-35, and implied mine had that neck profile. I don't know. It's hefty. Deeper than the J-45TV's, but not as deep or as pronounced a "V" as the neck on the J-45 Legend.

The Fuller's J-35 shares the back bracing (and top bracing) with the Advanced Jumbo. I wonder either set of braces is different on the Luthier's Choice J-35? Most of the examples of vintage J-35's I have seen had very high and thin back braces, and not the modern AJ's rather massive ones (especially the lower two).

I don't doubt that the extra attention, experience, and talent Ren brings to top construction results in some sort of special magic.

That said, I am EXTREMELY happy with my Fuller's J-35. It's a wonderful instrument. If Gibson can do even better with the Luthier's Choice, then those guitars must be truly extraordinary. I'm happy for the lucky owners (like gotomsdos--hi goto!).

Red 333

That said, I am EXTREMELY happy with my Fuller's J-35. It's a wonderful instrument.

Remember that it's all about probabilities. Your J-35 may be every bit as good as that Five Star, even though the ones I've had a chance to check out weren't close. I recall that at the 2011 Homecoming, Ren was super enthusiastic about an SJ-200 Western Classic at Music Villa, far more so than any of the customs he'd worked on that MV had in stock. That WC was built on the regular production line, and turned out awesome due to a combination of a great design, a great process, talented and committed line workers, and the luck of the draw. Having Ren involved in the build improved the chances of winding up a great guitar (so much so that paying extra for his involvement when you ordered a guitar was just common sense, IMHO), but Gibson has built plenty of great guitars that Ren never laid a hand on, and they continue to do so. Once the guitar is built, it is what it is, and I think it should be judged entirely on its own merits -- "tone, feel, appearance" -- rather than on its specs or its pedigree.

-- Bob R

Remember that it's all about probabilities. Your J-35 may be every bit as good as that Five Star, even though the ones I've had a chance to check out weren't close. I recall that at the 2011 Homecoming, Ren was super enthusiastic about an SJ-200 Western Classic at Music Villa, far more so than any of the customs he'd worked on that MV had in stock. That WC was built on the regular production line, and turned out awesome due to a combination of a great design, a great process, talented and committed line workers, and the luck of the draw. Having Ren involved in the build improved the chances of winding up a great guitar (so much so that paying extra for his involvement when you ordered a guitar was just common sense, IMHO), but Gibson has built plenty of great guitars that Ren never laid a hand on, and they continue to do so. Once the guitar is built, it is what it is, and I think it should be judged entirely on its own merits -- "tone, feel, appearance" -- rather than on its specs or its pedigree.

-- Bob R

GOod point Bob .

I agree with you

JC

Archived