Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Wildkat with Valve Senior Combo

Sada Yairi

Guys, before my Wildkat arrives and is set up, gimme some input on what I should ask for. Given that the guitar will be used mainly for blues and light rock, I'm thinking about going with a set of 10s. I do like to bend a lot, but I want a thick, full tone and given that the Wildkat also has p90s I figure I can go with a higher guage and not get too dull or muddy. At the same time, I have no experience whatsoever with buying a new electric and getting it set up - all my experience is with classicals. I have changed strings on my Dot, and set up the intonation and action, but only to suit what felt comfrotable, not with any actual understanding involved. Are 10s likely to be a good option? I've also had it suggested that I go for a hybrid set - apparently they are light-medium guage for the top 3 strings and medium-heavy guage for the bottom three (though I'm not sure of the specific numbers). Got any thoughts?

Forgive me for not wanting to read too much in to that.

For not wanting to, or for wanting to??? :lol:

I did clean up after myself [blush]

Guys, before my Wildkat arrives and is set up, gimme some input on what I should ask for. Given that the guitar will be used mainly for blues and light rock, I'm thinking about going with a set of 10s. I do like to bend a lot, but I want a thick, full tone and given that the Wildkat also has p90s I figure I can go with a higher guage and not get too dull or muddy. At the same time, I have no experience whatsoever with buying a new electric and getting it set up - all my experience is with classicals. I have changed strings on my Dot, and set up the intonation and action, but only to suit what felt comfrotable, not with any actual understanding involved. Are 10s likely to be a good option? I've also had it suggested that I go for a hybrid set - apparently they are light-medium guage for the top 3 strings and medium-heavy guage for the bottom three (though I'm not sure of the specific numbers). Got any thoughts?

Personally, I would go for 11-49s [thumbup]

Personally, I would go for 11-49s [thumbup]

Why eggs?

I now realise that the Wildkat comes standard with 10s (I initially thought 9s were standard). I've also decided not to go with the hybrids (turns out they're 10-52 instead of 10-46, with just the bottom three higher guage). As such, if I did go for non-standard strings I would go for 11s. Why would you go for them? Tone, comfort? Any further buzzing issues? Any difference with the Bigsby? Noticible difference with bends?

My what good reasoning! [biggrin]

Given I'll be playing through the Valve Senior, how much noticible difference are 11s likely to make?

As I've had no experience with the Epi VS, I'm gonna throw that one out to our 'Most Knowledgeable Epi-Brethren' Sada [thumbup]

I've also decided not to go with the hybrids (turns out they're 10-52 instead of 10-46, with just the bottom three higher guage).

I think the hybrids sound ideal for what you're trying to achieve, they are the strings from a 10-46 set on the top 3 treble strings and the bass strings are from a 11-52 set, this will give you a slightly thicker sound while the top 3 will remain easier to bend than a full set of 11-52.

Just one point: D'Addario's (which I would highly recommend) are actually 11-49 (not 52), so you might achieve a similar outcome more simply :-k

This is where personal preferences enter the picture, I prefer Ernie Balls, better bang for buck IMHO.

Personal prefence is the issue - I don't have the geet or the amp yet, so I can't form an opinion. Don't really like the idea of the hybrids because it increases the jump from 3rd to 4th string, which is already a significant jump. Might stick with 10s cos that's what I'm used to with the Dot, get used to the Wildkat/VS combination, and see how I go. Then again, maybe I'll just go with 11s...

Personal prefence is the issue - I don't have the geet or the amp yet, so I can't form an opinion. Don't really like the idea of the hybrids because it increases the jump from 3rd to 4th string, which is already a significant jump. Might stick with 10s cos that's what I'm used to with the Dot, get used to the Wildkat/VS combination, and see how I go. Then again, maybe I'll just go with 11s...

That's wise, also it comes standard with 10s, so using them shouldn't alter the setup at all.

That's wise, also it comes standard with 10s, so using them shouldn't alter the setup at all.

Does sound wise ... plus, strings are relatively inexpensive in terms of occasionally switching out/trying different gauges to find what works for you best in the end. I've been using EB Slinkys (10's) on my guits for .....hmmmmm...30 something years (yikes!!!) I do have my short scale BMG w/ Super Slinkys (9's), but that's a completely different animal.....floating trem, 24" scale, 24 frets, plays like quicksilver...it is what it is, but requires a consciously lighter touch. Horses for courses, or however the saying goes...

Archived