Gibson Brands Forums

pickup replacment

upsidedown club

I changed out my neck pup and the soldering down in that hole was difficult to perform. Do you think it would be better to unfasten all the knobs and get the whole mess up out of the cavity abit?

I thought about cutting the lead at the old pup and using wire nuts and adding solder to that connection. would that ruin the connection somehow? seems like an easier approach if your not caring about saving any lead wiring on the junky epi pup.new neck pup seymour duncan 59sh1 ..thinkin about sdsh4 or jazz for my bridge as that is still to be purchased and installed. oh yeah maybe a 490t ..thanks and best regards,upside down club (axe)

It's much easier to do the soldering with the potentiometers out of the guitar. Also make sure you have the pot turned down to zero (0), this way if too much heat is applied then it won't damage the pot in a usable part of the sweep (rotation).

It's much easier to do the soldering with the potentiometers out of the guitar. Also make sure you have the pot turned down to zero (0), this way if too much heat is applied then it won't damage the pot in a usable part of the sweep (rotation).

thanks wont do that the hard way again, lucky I didnt melt have the wiring in that hole!!!1

DUde some kinda really freakin clowns you send along....SCARRRYYYY Now if no one say bs on the wire nuts method Im gonna do it sorry bout the delayed replies just figuring this gig out REGARDS, UPsideDOWN

+1 on taking the whole mess out and not using wire nuts. Be careful as you are wrangling the assembly in and out, it is easy to break the thin Epi wire at the connection to the pots (don't ask how I know).

thanks, yeah it a hack job but with solder on the wire at the wire nut....Guys Im still going to try it ftw. so much easier and if not ..do it over gunner, where you at in my home state? ever hear of

a little town Scott City? thats where I bought my 1973 Martin D-28 with hsc for about $600.00 brand new...REgards Up side Down

+1. Much easier. I've rewired dozens of guitars, and taken the pots out on all of them. Too much hassle trying to reach things when it's all inside. No room to move. To take the knobs off, pull them from beneath with a wash cloth; prying them off with a screwdriver can crack them or damage your finish.

new neck pup seymour duncan 59sh1 ..thinkin about sdsh4 or jazz for my bridge as that is still to be purchased and installed. oh yeah maybe a 490t (axe)

The JB (SH-4) is really picky about the woods it sounds good in, and does much better in Strats, Teles, and bright woods. It's hit or miss in warm woods like mahogany, especially in LP's. It may sound great in yours, but then do you know what to do in case it doesn't?

If you want a bright bridge HB, a JazzB or '59B is very good. If you want it a little warmer, try an A2P. Look for used PU's on eBay, and you can save some money.

The JB (SH-4) is really picky about the woods it sounds good in, and does much better in Strats, Teles, and bright woods. It's hit or miss in warm woods like mahogany, especially in LP's. It may sound great in yours, but then do you know what to do in case it doesn't?

If you want a bright bridge HB, a JazzB or '59B is very good. If you want it a little warmer, try an A2P. Look for used PU's on eBay, and you can save some money.

thanks just got the jazz bridge pup paid retail at my local shop.. but thats who did the first set up . you know Im jazzd about getting that paired up and singing but I have to solder again dang nab it !!!! a picture of my new pickup is way down at the bottom of this post

WP_000283.jpg

WP_000283.jpg

I changed out my neck pup and the soldering down in that hole was difficult to perform. Do you think it would be better to unfasten all the knobs and get the whole mess up out of the cavity abit?

I thought about cutting the lead at the old pup and using wire nuts and adding solder to that connection. would that ruin the connection somehow? seems like an easier approach if your not caring about saving any lead wiring on the junky epi pup.new neck pup seymour duncan 59sh1 ..thinkin about sdsh4 or jazz for my bridge as that is still to be purchased and installed. oh yeah maybe a 490t ..thanks and best regards,upside down club (axe)

Is THIS what your referring to??

yes except i want to use small wire nuts and fill with solder not using and tape. my thing is hopefully the extra wire wont mess with the proper sound.

but most say its just too easy to go ahead and do it old school so flip a coin for me heads its wire nuts tails down in the valley so low....updc

Archived