Gibson Brands Forums

'zoo kg-11

jannusguy

ha! i just cut and pasted this with the intent of emailing you asking your opine!! what do you think a fair price is?

edit- just went back for another look. seems pretty sound but looks like a long crack under rhs of bridge. it doesn't appear the neck joint is in need of repair though with no string on it, its hard to tell. i'm suddenly in love with this body type and i think i must have one.

can anyone else weigh in?

they're really loud too, great projection. i love mine as well.

what it lacks in deepness and articulation, totally makes up for in terms of tone. it doesn't sound like a cheap guitar at all. a big notch above stellas and harmonies of the same era.

by the way guys.....just a precaution.......NEVER buy a guitar that does not have strings on it. You buy it, you string it up....you see 1/2" gap between the 12th fret and the bottom of the E strings, YOU PAY FOR THE NECK RESET.....lol....A lot of those 70 year old guitars need neck resets and refrets.....so unless you can actually BUY the guitar for $99 get ready for some major expenses

ha! i just cut and pasted this with the intent of emailing you asking your opine!! what do you think a fair price is?

edit- just went back for another look. seems pretty sound but looks like a long crack under rhs of bridge. it doesn't appear the neck joint is in need of repair though with no string on it' date=' its hard to tell. i'm suddenly in love with this body type and i think i must have one.

can anyone else weigh in?[/quote']

probably somewhere between $500-800. don't think there's a reserve on it. happy bidding! i paid 800 for mine but it had already had a neck reset and some cracks stabilized so i figured it was a safe bet.

by the way guys.....just a precaution.......NEVER buy a guitar that does not have strings on it. You buy it' date=' you string it up....you see 1/2" gap between the 12th fret and the bottom of the E strings, YOU PAY FOR THE NECK RESET.....lol....A lot of those 70 year old guitars need neck resets and refrets.....so unless you can actually BUY the guitar for $99 get ready for some major expenses[/quote']

wise words, but i still think it's worth it though.

i got mine completely restored, safe for the visual aspect which is pretty much unsolvable but in my opinion it only adds to its character. but it was setup for 12s, the neck was reset, partly refretted, and that was it. i think i paid 850 bucks (with a hardshell case), it plays like butter and sounds way better than it looks, although i would argue that it doesn't sound as interesting as it looks.

one of the many (probable) owners carved his name near the pickguard (it's odd, almost like a visual illusion, i never noticed it was there until a few months ago) and also wrote his name inside. i like to think that "Lee" played this thing to the ground during the depression and maybe that's part of the reason why i always play stuff i don't normally go for when i pick it up.

the kalamazoos are great guitars and very charming in my modest opinion. they totally deserve the effort.

if i didn't have a 94 L00, i'd be looking for a KG-14, for sure.

by the way guys.....just a precaution.......NEVER buy a guitar that does not have strings on it. You buy it' date=' you string it up....you see 1/2" gap between the 12th fret and the bottom of the E strings, YOU PAY FOR THE NECK RESET.....lol....A lot of those 70 year old guitars need neck resets and refrets.....so unless you can actually BUY the guitar for $99 get ready for some major expenses[/quote']

I think this is very wise. I'd add that I'm also cautious about buying from someone that obviously knows nothing about guitars. You can pretty much count on it needing work. Gibson's are much harder to do neck resets on than say an old Martin and are correspondingly more expensive. In my neck of the woods, a neck set and refret would cost about $500-600,which means that paying any more than say $350 or so for one that you don't know anything about wouldn't make much sense.

i think you guys are all on the money. i wrote the seller and asked him some basic Q's about the neck, what its like with strings on, does the body lift, how's the action....

here's what he wrote back...

"I'M SORRY I BOUGHT IT LIKE THIS I WAS GOING TO PUT STRINGS ON BUT WILL LEAVE IT TO THE BUYER I HOPE IT GOES HIGH THANKS BOBBY"

he's sold 1100 items. i'm guessing he does know. this makes the purchase a bit of a shot in the dark.

what would a neck reset cost, in general? i might take a poke at it but keep my max low.

what would a neck reset cost' date=' in general? i might take a poke at it but keep my max low.

[/quote']

For someone who really knows what they're doing, that is, has done many resets on vintage Gibson's, I'd figure a minimum of three hundred, more likely in the range of five hundred. Find the best person in your area and ask them how many resets on old Gibby's they've done, and what they charge. I've talked to Frank Ford, John Arnold and Dennis Berck about this and they all have said that old Gibson's are much harder to do (their rates are in the $500 range). If whoever you talk to doesn't recognize that, then (1) they won't be able to give you a realistic estimate, and (2) you don't want them working on your guitar.

Archived