Gibson Brands Forums

Got a New used Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 2x12 combo

STAR CHILD

I just bought online from Guitar Center a used Marshall JCM 2000 TSL100 watt 2x12 combo!

I'm just curious what you guy's think about this amp? I'm mostly into Hard Rock,

70's & 80"s and I'm a big KISS fan!!!

Well, if you like it, it's cool...I myself like a Marshall Super Lead with a preamp of some kind, preferably an old Marshall Drivemaster stomp box.

Ace Frehley quote....

“On the early KISS records, I used my tobacco-sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard with a rewound hot pickup [rewound by Larry DiMarzio?] through a Marshall stack or old Fender tweed amp on most of the studio recordings. I used an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff to overdrive them sometimes.

“Later I got a cherry-sunburst Les Paul Custom and an old ’59 Les Paul Standard, which dominated my studio recordings in the late ‘70s. My 1978 solo album, Ace Frehley, really shows off what a Les Paul guitar can do in the studio. I recorded almost the whole album exclusively with my 1959 vintage sunburst Les Paul.

“I use Gibson Les Paul Customs live because they’re simply the best guitars for loud rock ‘n’ roll. I’ve always said, ‘Just plug a Les Paul into a Marshall amp and turn it up to 10!’ It’s a no-brainer.”

It’s a little-known fact that live, and possibly in the studio, in the early KISS days Ace’s Marshall Super Leads had 6550 power tubes, not the typical Marshall EL-34s. EL-34s are warmer and get a little more compressed and dirtier than 6550s. So it’s interesting that he would use a hot pickup and a cleaner amp.

Congrats and welcome to the world of Marshall,the TSL 2000 will certainly handle what you want it for.If you want to push more air you can run it through a 4-12 cabinet.I do that with my Marshall combo at times and does it ever make a difference in the tone especially when you disconnect the speakers in the combo but make sure that you set your impedence selector right:8 OHMS for a loan speaker cabinet with the amp's speakers disconnected or just the combo speakers but 4 OHMS if you are using the amps speakers and an 8 OHM cabinet.

Guest farnsbarns

Where is everyone? Is there nobody who has anything to say about this amp?

I have the 60 watt head into a 1960a 4x12 300w cab. They're great amps although I'm selling mine simply because it is impractical. I want a 2x10/12 combo (like yours I guess). The main reason is I would like to move all my music stuff upstairs but we have a very awkward stairs and the 4x12 is never getting up there. I also want to be able to put the amp in the back seat of our classic mini, not daily, but once in a while would be nice so even a 2x12 cab and the head is a bit much. I played a fender supersonic the other day which took my fancy, it was a shop demo and they were offering it to me for a £210 discount so I'd like to get that. Anyone wanna pay £800 for a mint TSL60 head and 1960a cab? I sent it to Marshall for a service recently knowing I wanted to sell it it they gave it a clean bill of health, actually it's over performing, clean at 59 watts with a fair amount still to go so that's cool.

I previously owned that same model combo as well as the DSL 100 head at one time. Not bad at all, great amps, but had way too many knobs and buttons on it for a Marshall for me. Yes, funny thing to say as my main amp right now is a Mesa Mark IV - the most knoby and switchy amp I have ever owned, but when it comes to Marshalls, I prefer the JCM800 2203 and it's 2x12 combo counterpart (JCM800 4212, I believe).

The JCM2000 DSL series are great tho, don't get me wrong - you have a killer Marshall amp there, I just like a more sleek single channel when I go for Marshall. Enjoy your new Marshall - It has a good bit of gain on tap as well as some really good depth control for bottom end. You should be able to get your 70's and 80's on with the classic gain channel and if you want to get more modern, the ultra gain channel will venture you into the brutals of metal gain. Very versatile amp.

Here's a bit of clarification about the Marshall model numbers:Thee combo verssion of the JCM 800 2203 is the 4103. The 4212 is the 50W combo version of the 2205.I have a 2204 stack which is basically a 50W version of the 2203,the beauty of this amp is that you can get great saturation and raunch without having to stand in the next county to save on the ears.lol.

Here's a bit of clarification about the Marshall model numbers:Thee combo verssion of the JCM 800 2203 is the 4103. The 4212 is the 50W combo version of the 2205.I have a 2204 stack which is basically a 50W version of the 2203,the beauty of this amp is that you can get great saturation and raunch without having to stand in the next county to save on the ears.lol.

Thank you, 4103, I had a feeling I had it wrong. [biggrin]

Archived