Gibson Brands Forums

Recent Link to Pic of Pickup Leads Exposed

Lefty Bill

Maybe someone knows where there was a link posted recently to a thread containing pics of a guitar with the pickups laying on top of the body, revealing the pickup cables, and the clear close-up pics revealed the printing of Mogami brand cable.

I got distracted and then couldn't find the images in any of the recent Epiphone Electrics posts, so I suspect the pics were in another forum, linked in a recent discussion thread here.

I couldn't relocate those pics, but wanted to look up the Mogami cable style numbers. Mogami is one of the premier Japanese cable makers, their products are typically top shelf quality, IME.

I did find a seller on eBay with some Mogami ultraflexible 4 conductor mini cable, so I bought some (4x 28ga wires with a braided shield .106" diameter jacket size), and it appears to be exactly what I had been trying to find previously, but wasn't able to.

Much of the 4-conductor cable being sold at various online locations isn't the small diameter cable such as DiMarzio and other pickup manufacturers use.. actually, some of it is for use with alarm systems and industrial controls, not guitars.

Bill

That Oragami cable is a real bugger to get the creases out of, which slow down the signal.

Bill

I believe that the thread you are refering to is on a different forum.........:-k ...

I use Oragami cable on my Japanese made guitars................................:rolleyes: :unsure: [sneaky] ...

I appreciate you looking Willy.. when I got back to trying to find the pics, I went thru at least a couple of days of current posts here, but didn't see any post discussions that reminded me of what I'd seen.

The discussion wasn't about the Mogami cable or the pickups, IIRC.. but instead, I think the pics were showing the details of the construction of the front of the guitar.. whether or not it was a thin veneer, on one of the better quality, premium-top-wood models.

At least I was able to find some of the small diameter 4-conductor cable, made by a quality cable maker. I had spent a considerable amount of time looking for good cable, and the only example I could think of off the top of my weary head was the small cables used in computers for CD drive audio cables to sound cards and various other types of electronic equipment.. but most of that stuff is cheap low grade stuff, and not easy to find a source.

The wires in a shielded cable for guitar pickups don't need to be twisted pairs or heavy gauge wire (they also don't need the foil shield, drain wire or fat stiff jacket material), as is evident by examining the p-up cables on better quality p-ups.

I'm sure the Mogami stuff I got will be fine for rewiring stock p-ups to 4-wires with the coils split.. I was just curious about what the specific cable was on those shown in the elusive pics.

Thanks, (yep, you got it.. heheh)

Bill

Bill,

Looked around for the Mogami pics in a few places...no luck and no help here, but...

As to the Origami cables....

LOL...

Matrix_Oragami.gif

Willy

That sounds like that Japanese Les Paul 3-bolt neck thread. But that was months ago. I'm not sure if I recall seeing Mogami wires in the cavity, but there was a huge debate on whether or not the top was veneered or solid.

EDIT: Er, nope. It wasnt that thread. Sorry.

Thanks again, Willy.. I guess my lesson is Always Ask. If I had found that cable, I'd have tried some.. I looked at numerous suppliers for guitar parts and others, but found none that was a small diameter 4-conductor.

6776355454_68eb396576_z.jpg

Examples of Epi humbucker cables and alternative cable types, diameters shown in inches.

I'm pleased with the Mogami type 2929 found on eBay (seller: stevehat38654 item #220946699558), and compared to Epiphone's factory 4-conductor, it looks like the same 28 gauge signal wires except the Mogami doesn't have a foil shield and drain wire, which I don't care for anyway, and likely doesn't make a bit of difference unless someone needed to play a guitar in an MRI machine or similar scenario.

Bill

Bill,

There is this 4 conductor shielded at Guitar electronics:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WA6/Four-Conductor-Shielded-Guitar-Humbucker-Pickup-Wire.html

Just not sure if you would be interested as I don't think it is Mogami.

Willy

I appreciate you checking, RTH.. I definitely remembered that discussion (Nov 30), and mateo69's very clear close-up pics.. and, it was a really attractive guitar.

When you mentioned the thread, I thought: that was the one with the unusual dress-up button to hide the hole on the back of the body, but you're correct, the pic I saw was within a couple of days before I posted the question.. and I've been back thru almost all the posts, and didn't see any link to a close-up pic showing a pickup cavity for those days.

Ah, well.. the Mogami cable I found on eBay is a good (maybe best) substitute, definitely better than alarm system cable (even with the thick jacket removed. It's pictured in my reply to Willy.

Thanks,

Bill

That sounds like that Japanese Les Paul 3-bolt neck thread. But that was months ago. I'm not sure if I recall seeing Mogami wires in the cavity, but there was a huge debate on whether or not the top was veneered or solid.

EDIT: Er, nope. It wasnt that thread. Sorry.

Archived