Gibson Brands Forums

1st Gibson and I bought a LP Studio Satin -- Worn Cherry

Birddog

Hey everyone! I just purchased this guitar and absouletly love it. It is amazing in playability and in sound. I have a few questions though regarding the finish. What do you all use polishing the wood? Since this isn't coated, is it gonna fade and look like junk in a few years? What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Birddog

Here are the images... http://imgur.com/a/Qaiiw

I do not know how to upload these yet on forums.

Since this isn't coated, is it gonna fade and look like junk in a few years? What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Well I hear some stories about them fading quickly but ive had a double cut faded for three years now with a similar finish and it still looks good. So I guess it depends on if you gig and how hard you play..

Nice guitar man.. Enjoy :)

They don't fade so much as they simply wear through. The thin finish will turn shiny in spots where your hands and clothes rub the guitar during play. Then the shiny goes away, because the finish is gone and it is down to the bare wood. I have 2 faded guitars. One is a Melody Maker from 2007 that is wearing through to the wood on the edges. When my faded SG even hints at wearing, I will remove everything from the guitar and shoot it with some clear nitro. :)

They don't fade so much as they simply wear through. The thin finish will turn shiny in spots where your hands and clothes rub the guitar during play. Then the shiny goes away, because the finish is gone and it is down to the bare wood. I have 2 faded guitars. One is a Melody Maker from 2007 that is wearing through to the wood on the edges. When my faded SG even hints at wearing, I will remove everything from the guitar and shoot it with some clear nitro. :)

Awesome! Do you know someone that is capable of doing the nitro coat? Sounds like something I would be interested in doing as well.

Awesome! Do you know someone that is capable of doing the nitro coat? Sounds like something I would be interested in doing as well.

No, I was going to do it myself. I am quite capable of this task, but almost anyone could do it with research and patience. I have purposely not been using any polishes on the finish, so when the day comes that it wears and I do decide to spray it, I will have to simply wipe it down with naptha, let it dry, and shoot the clear on to it until I build up a good coat. I can then sand these coats until the finish is level and smooth, and then buff her out with a compound :) It should look nice, shiny and wet then :D

Archived