Gibson Brands Forums

Jimi Hendrix?

slavestate

Ol' Frank is good, but he's a jerk. He is very reserved and shy, much like Neil Peart (and they're both Canadians!), but he's arrogant about it. He downtalks Yngwie, EVH, Led Zeppelin, and others. He is a hypocrite: he stated that he thinks that soloing is not needed (Beatles influence), yet he is all solo! And I really do not like it when people credit their pursuit of guitar playing to drugs. Either you were born to do it, or you won't succeed. Sorry for the Marino rant, but his personality takes away from my liking of his music a little bit. Whereas Rush's personalities and Ace Frehley's sense of humor and his innocence (anyone who says he's an @SS has their head up theirs. Gene is the big rear end in that band. Sure, he co-founded one of my favorite bands and wrote some good songs---and sang some good songs that were written by Mr. Frehley, but out of their whole catalog, many of his tunes cannot hold a candle to Paul, Ace, or Peter songs IMHO. Plus, his reality show sucks IMO!) make me appreciate them even more. If you put Alex and Ace in the same room I'm sure everyone would be laughing their dang full heads off. Add Marino and that mood will fade away. Sorry, but saying EVH is only famous cause' of DLR is really low in my book. There was no DLR on Eruption.... I don't care what DLR has to say about that. I'd be god damn go to hell if one day DLR was walking around singing "nendnendnendnendnndnendndne WAAAAAOOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAAA" Unless he was snortin' something that cost a lot o' money....

The first time I heard Mahogany Rush was on a French Canadian TV program back in 1972.As soon as I heard the first note I knew he sounded like Jimi.I immediately went out and bought their first album Maxoom(pronounced Mawzoom)I was just blown away with the album.I'd advise anyone who loves Jimi or appreciates incredible guitar sound effects to buy this album.There is a song on the album called Guit Wars,it was recorded using just a Fender Twin Reverb and a '57 Strat with absolutely no sound effects except for the tremolo and reverb on the amp and the controls and vibrato arm etc. on the guitar.With several overdubs he recreates a WW II battle complete with very very realistic air raid sirens,a squadron of bombers flying overhead,bombs dropping and exploding, and even depth charges passing through the water with air bubbles gurgling from them.Describing it can do it no justice because it's that incredible that you can't believe that it's possible until you hear it for yourself.I'm sure that anyone else who has heard this cut could wholeheartedly confirm what I'm saying.Despite Frank's bizarre personality he is a monster talent,one just has to listen to songs like World Anthem to see this and I'd rather listen to him for ten hours than listen to Malmsteen for 30 seconds.

I said to my buddy "Jimi put out a new album, want to hear it?"

He replied "Wait, what?"

I responded "You know, Jimi Hendrix, I just picked up his new record. Unreleased material".

My buddy seemed somewhat interested and perhaps amused and said "Okay, I will give it a listen."

A few songs later he said something along the lines of "Wow, the vocals are a bit off on this one, but his guitar playing is awesome."

Mind you, my buddy is an insane rock guru, and this particular album slipped through his cracks!

I then pulled out the actual LP and he started laughing.

Needless to say, Marino got it.

• 1 month later...

Archived