Gibson Brands Forums

Possible problem with Les Paul Traditional Pro

patrick2099

The good news is that my Honeyburst LP Standard Plus Top arrived today. I was surprised to see that it was made in Indonesia, and not China, but the quality on it looks excellent. There is a strange chip by the cover for the toggle switch, but no one ever sees that, so I could care less.

I haven't really had much time to play the new one, but had plenty of time to play the Trad Pro, over the weekend. I will be taking it to my tech on Thursday, to see how much it will cost to repair. There actually appear to be two problems. First, the nut doesn't appear to be cut quite right. The gap between the high E string and the edge of the fretboard is smaller at the first fret than the last. Also, the fret appears to be beveled too quickly -- really rounding off close to where the string normally sits. The combination of these issues makes it virtually impossible to do a pulloff to an open string. The string slides right off the fretboard.

On the Plus Top, the string appears to be even all the way down the neck, and the frets look more like "normal" frets. I really don't know much about guitar repair, but I was quite surprised at how much fretwork was, last time around. Any guesses as to how big of a problem this is, and how much it may cost? If it isn't that much, I will probably get it fixed, and hopefully recoup some of the cost from Musician's Friend. If it is a ton of money, I will probably be sending it back.

I love my Traditional Pro, but I did have a problem with the nut, too. I think it was the D string that was stuck in the slot. Rather than file it, I installed a new Tusq nut. they're pre-slotted, but you have to file down the bottom. If you take your time and compare it to the old one, it's pretty easy to do. I suggest buying two in case you mess up on your first attempt. It really is a simple job.

FYI, I've got two Trad Pros, one wine and one korina, and they didn't need anything other than a good setup and a new set of strings. I swapped the pups in the korina for SD Alnico 2 Pros, but I like the sound of the stock pups equally well. Outstanding guitars IMHO.

Archived