Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall amps

R092012

Im a newbie to this site so welcome! I just purchased my dream guitar a Les Paul 09 ice tea fade. OMG, this guitar is everything I imagined it would be. I am now looking for an amp and wondering if anyone owns a Marshall 74x. I am also considering one of the new Fender Eric Clapton hand wired amps. I dont gig out, just for home/ studio use. Probably the 12 watt version. Your thoughts considered.

Thanks

Class 5 combo. I wish I had my 1974X back though. A very unique amp. The Class 5 will need the speaker broken in before it sounds great. When you test one in a store it will not be the tone you hear later on. Play with different tubes. I put a vintage Amperex Mullard 12AX7 in and love it. I like the combo so much that I bought the head version too. It's all personal preference with amps.

I checked them out online. Unfortunately I don't have a store that sells them nearby. They seem to be a country style amp. I like classic rock/country . It might work. Also, I don't want a boutiqey type amp.

You might try a Dr. Z Maz Jr. Pricey, but they sound terrific. I plan to get one.

If he's considering the "Hand wired" EC Fender's, he's not too concerned, about price! [biggrin]

And, since that seems to be the case, there should be a LOT to choose from, in almost

any brand, and wattage. It's an enviable position, to be in. [thumbup]

Might try out a Vox (Hand Wired) AC-15...though it might be "too loud," for your purposes.

Orange, HiWatt, Bad Cat, Dr. Z (as mentioned), Matchless, and other "boutique" amps,

could also be, in your price range, as well. So...???

Go out, and try them all! Make your decision, on what YOU hear, and like. We're all

different, and have different preferences, and tastes.

CB

Well I purchased the Marshall 1974x hand wired amp and I love it. I like the simplicity of this amp. Sounds great clean up to about 4 and then it's pure Marshall tone after that. Awesome distortion by itself. Definitely loud for a bedroom amp, but put a Boss DS-1 Keeley modified pedal in front of it and OMG this amp at 2 sounds the same dimed. Of course when nobody is home, its dimed the whole time. I highly recommend this amp to every Marshall fan. It's a must have. Thanks for all the input. Oh, and my R9 Les Paul is very happy now.

Archived