Gibson Brands Forums

HELP real or fake?? 335 TD?

garulla

hello.. sorry my bad english...

its my first post, i am from argentina.. and is difficult to buy a gibson here :(

This guy sells 335 close to home.

is a real gibson??

in the pictures that covered the serial number of your phone (the real serial is 017160690)

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_5187.jpg

http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_4899.jpg

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_4391.jpg

http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_1419.jpg

http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_6848.jpg

http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_1764.jpg

thanks! :)

Guest EastEnder

Doesn't look real to me, at least not stock.

Most obvious is the pick guard; and what's with the switch on the lower cutaway?

Pickup mounting screws are wrong, unless the pickups are replacements.

335 would not have the block/split diamond inlays, at least not in my memory.

Everything about the back of the headstock appears off. And the headstock appears to have no glued-on wings. And it seems very thin. Truss rod cover looks fake, (thin white laminate layer and apparently oversized).

Fret ends hang over binding — a real tell-tale.

"Passed OK." Really?

My tuppence.

EE

Doesn't look real to me, at least not stock.

Most obvious is the pick guard; and what's with the switch on the lower cutaway?

Pickup mounting screws are wrong, unless the pickups are replacements.

335 would not have the block/split diamond inlays, at least not in my memory.

Everything about the back of the headstock appears off. And the headstock appears to have no glued-on wings. And it seems very thin. Truss rod cover looks fake, thin white laminate).

Fret ends hang over binding — a real tell-tale.

"Passed OK." Really?

My tuppence.

EE

wow! nice explanation!

I honestly do not know what to do ... but it's true, most of the things you said you're right.

happens that one sees a beautiful guitar at a good price .. and completely blind

Welcome.

I'm with EastEnder. I have some concerns which tell me this is a fake. To mention a few - he mounting screws on the corners of the pup collars are not flatheads. Split diamond logo but a rosewood fretboard. No nibs. And very plainly, no wings on the headstock -

s_MLA_v_F_f_143972710_6848.jpg

Here's how the back should look, with wings - pieces of wood glued to the side of the headstock to make it wider -

DSC07557_edited-1-1.jpg

Guest EastEnder

In addition...

The grain pattern on the back of the headstock appears too uniformly straight to be an angled headstock. Is there a scarf joint on the neck near the headstock (perhaps the pictures are the seller's and you can't tell)?

The controls seem improperly placed.

There appears to be binding around the f-holes. Not available on this model, AFAIK

I think it's an attempt at an ES-355, rather than 335.

It has to be a fake.

It has to be a fake.

Totally agree. Run like the wind from this one. I'll just add that the info on the label in the last pic is completely bogus, too. I have a natural finish '06 335, and that ain't it! Be smart & don't bother with this FAKE.

Guest EastEnder

Here's the sales ad:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-143972710-gibson-335-_JM

"Doesn't come with the case."

"What you see in the photo, hardly used"

"I am not a fan of music , nor musical. I received this as payment for work."

"Sold only to cover costs. Reasonable offers accepted."

Price offered equates to about 1400 dollars.

Very dodgy, as the English might say.

I noticed the same problems as the others. The headstock face is configured as a 355, not a 335. One-piece headstock without "wings". No label on the tuners. Wrong pickguard. Multi-ply body binding, rather than single-ply cream. And the frets overhange the neck binding, which is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The bridge and saddle screw detail is wrong as well.

What's with what is presumably a coil-splitter switch? That was done for one or two years around 1979-80

I say it's a fake, and I own a couple of ES 335's.

Hi; I'm also a new member to this forum but I'm alarmed at the number of fake Gibsons around today; and have a fair bit of experience in spotting these copies and would like to endorse what both BigKahune and East Ender are saying. It screams danger to me; DON'T touch it with a 10 foot pole !! Firstly the securing screws on the pickups are not genuine; the 335 TD don't have G/plated screws. Also the necks a dead give away TD's have a dot inlay not a block; the headstock totally non 335 - they had the holly logo; and the binding - its white binding on TD's. I think but I'm not 100% on this that TD's being a dot style were pretty basis ad didn't do gold hardware only chrome or nckel plate.

To be 101% certain check the wiring take the pickups off and look at the quality of the wiring and its coating; there should be plenty to look at given that switch on the cutaway??? Hope this helps.

REAL OR FAKE; Hi Guys take a look at this one; I'd like to hear what you think. This guy is asking UK equivilent to $2900 for this baby. I'm really tempted as I've been after a CS in white for ages. I was convinced it was genuine only thing that puts me off is the serial number; no spacing between the CS and the numbers also the numbers themselves - 7186th unit of 2008 isn't that a little on the high side for the Custom Shop - I'm not as comfortable with CS LP's as I am with 335's and LP Standards / Classic so any help with this would be much appreciated as its stands I'm 90% ready to part with the money.

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHwyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIxLjQ2LmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnGetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MXwyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIyLjAyLmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnGetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MnwyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIyLjEzLmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnGetAttachment.aspx?tnail=8&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=OHwyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIzLjM5LmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnGetAttachment.aspx?tnail=5&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=NXwyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIyLjQ1LmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnGetAttachment.aspx?tnail=3&messageId=81a158a5-6063-11e1-af5b-00237de3a212&Aux=44|0|8CEC2877EAD9FE0||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=M3wyMDEyLTAyLTE4IDE1LjIyLjIzLmpwZ3xpbWFnZS9qcGVn

How do you load attachments on this site? Every time I tried to load a picture attachment it flashes up an error saying its too big a file??? Its only four Jpegs after all. I tried the help section and enabled the flash player but still the same; I tried zipping the file - but same answer. Any tips

Hi; Hope this works; I've provided a link to photobucket for these photos of a 2008 Les Paul CS I'm sort of convinced (or am I trying to convince myself) that this is genuine; its just that seril number configuration and the numbers themselves that's bothering me slightly. Does Gibson's Custom Shop actually produce nearly 8000 guitars a year or nearly 150 guitars a week ??? Any comments or views that anyone might have on this would be really welcome here as I'm about to part with nearly $3000 and I still have a nagging doubt - A Head v Heart probem I guess.

http://photobucket.com/lespaulcs2008

Ps: If the link doesn't work straight away just paste it into your browser

Hi BigKahune; Thanks for your response I'm really glad someone has seen this sort of serialisation before; as I so want this baby. I've never owned a true CS before; the nearest I've got is a 1990 LP DC 60 reissue; and that's only a four digit serial number and a prefix; so I guess you always look for safety in numbers especially when its about that sort of money. I plan to drive over next week and complete this deal I will of course take off the truss rod cover and apply my wiring test but its all looking good so far. Once this baby's safe in my possession I'll post some real good close ups. Thanks again. [thumbup]

Guest EastEnder

REAL OR FAKE; Hi Guys take a look at this one; I'd like to hear what you think. This guy is asking UK equivilent to $2900 for this baby. I'm really tempted as I've been after a CS in white for ages. I was convinced it was genuine only thing that puts me off is the serial number; no spacing between the CS and the numbers also the numbers themselves - 7186th unit of 2008 isn't that a little on the high side for the Custom Shop - I'm not as comfortable with CS LP's as I am with 335's and LP Standards / Classic so any help with this would be much appreciated as its stands I'm 90% ready to part with the money.

Looks great to me. Blindingly white.

Ask about the black strap buttons.

EE

Thanks East Ender; your co operation is much appreciated.I'll be having a good look all over it next week; straplocks and all. It was just that numbering that was the doubt but as others with more experience of these than me seem cool with it then thats good enough for me. I normally rely on looking at the truss rod and the pots as this is where the Chinese fakes fall down 100% of the time. They are getting better though; I looked at a fake LP Standard before Christmas and cosmetically it was 99% perfect - till you looked at the chamber; the pots and wiring was so poor; and the routing was dreadful. I must say though the tone was excellent great sustain and real thick creamy mids. That was through a Blackstar 5 watt tube combo. How long that would last though is another matter and even for $500 I doubt it would have lasted much more than a month without issues. I guess that's why they seem to be copying Epi's more these days than Gibsons. Thanks again for your input.

Archived