Gibson Brands Forums

Adding a Tremolo system?

LGK_Dude

Hello,

I'm going to be buying an Epiphone Les Paul of some sort (waiting to play the new models before deciding), but was curious about adding a Tremolo system. Is this advisable? Any potential problems with adding a Trem? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm going to be buying an Epiphone Les Paul of some sort (waiting to play the new models before deciding), but was curious about adding a Tremolo system. Is this advisable? Any potential problems with adding a Trem? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

G'day LGK.

Bigsby B7 or B700 afternarket variety, Les trem, or a Stetsbar.

Just google those, that should give you an idea of what you would prefer.

I prefer the Stetsbar. No drilling required. Fits right onto existing posts. [thumbup]

Here's one installed on one of our bretheren's own Prophecy GX.

prophecy.jpg

Cheers

Paul

G'day LGK.

I prefer the Stetsbar. No drilling required. Fits right onto existing posts. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

Would these mods void the guitars warranty? BTW, how do you guys find the intonation when using a trem system like these? Still pretty good?

edit: just read this article and it seems the Stetsbar is the perfect solution! http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Stetsbar-Pro-II-Tremolo-326/

With Bigsby systems, using the "vibramate" system requires no new holes.......I prefer drilling new holes myself........

Oh, most folks find Bigsbys very stable......One can always change out the bridge to a roller type bridge...............

if this actually comes out, I want to install it on my SG...

VibramateMaestroVM100G-640.jpg

Hiya D'STAR,

You can get these Maestro vibrola's on Ebay. Prices vary from $105 to $150 plus Postage.

I just installed one on my Epi Explorer last week. Works well, no probs.

I had to drill a couple of holes in the geet though. [cursing]

Before:

cimg1123.jpg

After:

cimg1170z.jpg

They look great and work well on any SG/G400. I prefer them to the Bigsby's.

cimg1168f.jpg

Cheers

Paul

When I was comparing the features of several vibrato/tremolo tailpieces recently, one unique notable feature of the Stetsbar is, that the sliding plate incorporates a moving bridge, so a roller bridge wouldn't necessarily be a consideration as it is with other units.

A second unique aspect of Stetsbars is that the bar attachment point is centered, so it's design is basically ambidextrous by changing the handle/bar.

A Duesenberg RL Tremola Short has the ambidextrous feature designed in, using the provided handle/bar as an additional feature.

Duesenberg RL

The one feature of the Wilkinson Wigsby which other units don't seem to share, is the separate rollers for each string (instead of all the strings rolling on a single bar).

I don't know how significant the separate rollers are, since I haven't installed the Wigsby on a guitar yet.

Another possible consideration worth noting, would be installing locking tuners (which are recommended by Wilkinson), since the tension of the strings is changing while using a vibrato.

Locking tuners will eliminate the numerous wraps around the tuner pegs which conventional non-locking tuners require, thus eliminating the wraps losing their tension which will lead to poor tuning issues/problems.

Bill

G'day LGK.

Cheers

Paul

Archived