Gibson Brands Forums

weird fret harmonics help

hardmodskin

hello....so i was wondering if you have any theories on this one. my lefty J-50 is going on 9 years old or so now...never had any issues, but i realized recently when MUTING the strings and playing some lead bits up the neck around the 9th/10/11/12th frets there is a strong harmonic effect when any string is plucked on the B and G strings, the moment any of them are fretted. even the lightest touch causes a harmonic ring on any fret past the 9th. i took it in for adjustment, and it seemed to be taken care of but not three days later the harmonics are back. ANY ideas what's up? should i look into a new saddle, maybe? [crying]

Hard to figure exactly what's happening from your description.... When say you are "muting" the strings, how are you muting the strings? Palm mute at the saddle? It could be that the point you contact the strings with the palm is at a harmonic node. Geez I dunno..........

You might check (or a luthier check) to see if your saddle is still seated with full contact to the bridge....as tops raise and bridge and saddle deform, it may cause this. Also check to see if the slots in your nut are too deep or too wide for the actual string. Lastly, check to see if there are any loose braces....these can all cause that harmonic or ringing sound.

Hard to figure exactly what's happening from your description.... When say you are "muting" the strings, how are you muting the strings? Palm mute at the saddle? It could be that the point you contact the strings with the palm is at a harmonic node. Geez I dunno..........

yup, palm mute at saddle, as i've often done over the years, but this annoying harmonic stuff is a new development. never had the issue before with muting.

You might check (or a luthier check) to see if your saddle is still seated with full contact to the bridge....as tops raise and bridge and saddle deform, it may cause this. Also check to see if the slots in your nut are too deep or too wide for the actual string. Lastly, check to see if there are any loose braces....these can all cause that harmonic or ringing sound.

yes, good points! reason i was leaning towards saddle issue is the two strings that are the main culprits are the two on they "compensated" saddle portion...it's not a straight across saddle; it's one that has that section that's king or dropped/angled a bit. hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived