Gibson Brands Forums

New hums in a sheri

If you are looking for pick-ups that will handle distortion well, then look at the ones with ceramic magnets.... a traditional humbucker, more often than not will use an alnico magnet of some sort, which works really well for low and medium output pickups, however, when we start to add more and more windings of wire (makes it higher output), the pickup will start to to loose definition under high gain use, and start to sound mushy in the bass department. but, if we pop in a ceramic magnet, then we can use more windings of wire, and not loose the definition and keep a much tighter bass response.

However, there is a draw back...the ceramic magnet pickups just don't sound as sweet as alnico magnet pickups.

you might consider upgrading your epi pickups to better quality ones, rather than just looking specifically at high output humbuckers. This will have a dramatic improvement on your sound, but still give you versatility....those high output humbuckers are usually one trick ponies.

If you are looking for pick-ups that will handle distortion well, then look at the ones with ceramic magnets.... a traditional humbucker, more often than not will use an alnico magnet of some sort, which works really well for low and medium output pickups, however, when we start to add more and more windings of wire (makes it higher output), the pickup will start to to loose definition under high gain use, and start to sound mushy in the bass department. but, if we pop in a ceramic magnet, then we can use more windings of wire, and not loose the definition and keep a much tighter bass response.

However, there is a draw back...the ceramic magnet pickups just don't sound as sweet as alnico magnet pickups.

you might consider upgrading your epi pickups to better quality ones, rather than just looking specifically at high output humbuckers. This will have a dramatic improvement on your sound, but still give you versatility....those high output humbuckers are usually one trick ponies.

+1. Very good advice! I'd recommend the 496R/500T ceramic set. They clean up well and are more versatile(to my ears) than most high output ceramic buckers.

+1. Very good advice! I'd recommend the 496R/500T ceramic set. They clean up well and are more versatile(to my ears) than most high output ceramic buckers.

I have a set of those around......In a box, still unused, hmmm......

Hmmm yea, I had a gibby LP studio in the 90's and it had the 496/500T set in it, and they sounded really good for what I was playing at the time (metallica, Megadeth, and similar), but they did clean up pretty good too. they were versatile.

+1. That's a good ceramic set. Teh Duncan Custom (SH-5) is also very good, with a '59N in the neck.

Archived