Gibson Brands Forums

Need suggestions for 335 setup

Rigormortis

I seem to be listening to a lot of Larry Carlton' date=' why not give it a try and see what you think? Ever heard of Steve Marriott from Small Faces, Humble Pie fame?? This guy has a unique blues sound and in my opinion one of the worlds most under-rated guitarists of all time. Go to UTube, type in Steve Marriott and watch some of the "Packet Of Three" videos. Listen to a song called "Five Years Too Long"

I have 57 classics on my 335 and love the sound, wouldn't change them for the world !

Johnny[/quote']

I was cruising through this forum looking for some ideas for a 335 I just acquired and saw the mention of Steve Marriott. He is one of my favorite artist and I had the honor of opening for him back around '84 in Myrtle Beach, SC USA. He was on a Humble Pie tour of small clubs. HE was the nicest guy and we partied before, during ,and well into the morning after the show. A Fender Representative was there during sound check trying to get him to endorse a new line and I watched him throw it across the club breaking it into at least three pieces!!! Steve was a true rock and roller and there are a few live DVDs out there that prove it. His live sound was incredible and he did have a Marshall endorsement then. Sorry just had to chime in!

I'm surprised to be getting so much of that blues tone from the 335' date=' since I've been associating it with my Strat. [/quote']

Old thread, I realize... but...

I'd suggest listening to quite a bit of Freddie King. Or B.B. for that matter.

I was cruising through this forum looking for some ideas for a 335 I just acquired and saw the mention of Steve Marriott. He is one of my favorite artist and I had the honor of opening for him back around '84 in Myrtle Beach' date=' SC USA. He was on a Humble Pie tour of small clubs. HE was the nicest guy and we partied before, during ,and well into the morning after the show. A Fender Representative was there during sound check trying to get him to endorse a new line and I watched him throw it across the club breaking it into at least three pieces!!! Steve was a true rock and roller and there are a few live DVDs out there that prove it. His live sound was incredible and he did have a Marshall endorsement then. Sorry just had to chime in![/quote']

Yep that sounds like Steve. Have to say though he did play a fender esquire on reforming the small faces.

Johnny

I'm a huge fan of the '57 Classics. My ES-339 is the bomb. I understand the Memphis tone thing is also the 500k pots. Whatever they are doing with that 339, it REALLY works for me live, playing small bars.

I actually LOVE the speed knobs. My '79 SG has em', and I've considered putting them on the 339, but just can't........................

Go figure.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Archived