Gibson Brands Forums

Do you guys slot the bridges and ream out the pin holes of your guitars?

michaeljohnr

I don't know why anyone would modify their guitar when they could just modify the inexpensive pin that goes in the hole. As far a improving a Martin design? Have at it. I'm sure Martin will take it into consideration when and if there is a warranty issue with the top. Gibson will not honor the warranty of the top if the design has been altered.

There was a thread a while ago where some new Gibson guitar owner wanted to send his guitar back because the pins did not fit all the way into the hole leaving a small gap between the pin and the top of the bridge. Many experts here agreed with the guy. It's just a bridge pin guys. Get over it. If you string your guitar properly you can actually take the pins out and the strings stay attached just fine.

I saw a demo of this in a very respected Gibson dealer in Texas. The store luthier took the plastic pins out and replaced them with very expensive Ivory pins never touching the strings or tuning. There was a blindfold test and the owner of the guitar was asked to identify what pins were being used. There were several pins used including Ebony pins as well as brass and tusq. The owner could not identify any of the pin material being used. The luthier was not surprised. The owner of the guitar lost a very substantial bet.

I don't know why anyone would modify their guitar when they could just modify the inexpensive pin that goes in the hole. As far a improving a Martin design? Have at it. I'm sure Martin will take it into consideration when and if there is a warranty issue with the top. Gibson will not honor the warranty of the top if the design has been altered.

It's really, really easy to modify pins to make them sit lower if you don't like the way they come from the factory. It's really, really dumb to ream the holes to make the pins sit lower. If you've got other reasons for reaming the holes, knock yourself out, IMHO. Just hope you don't need to go back to the manufacturer on any warranty item related to the bridge, if you have a guitar with a warranty.

There was a thread a while ago where some new Gibson guitar owner wanted to send his guitar back because the pins did not fit all the way into the hole leaving a small gap between the pin and the top of the bridge. Many experts here agreed with the guy. It's just a bridge pin guys. Get over it. If you string your guitar properly you can actually take the pins out and the strings stay attached just fine.

I saw a demo of this in a very respected Gibson dealer in Texas. The store luthier took the plastic pins out and replaced them with very expensive Ivory pins never touching the strings or tuning. There was a blindfold test and the owner of the guitar was asked to identify what pins were being used. There were several pins used including Ebony pins as well as brass and tusq. The owner could not identify any of the pin material being used. The luthier was not surprised. The owner of the guitar lost a very substantial bet.

thats the sort of thing should be filmed , because i personally dont think it makes a gnat's fart of difference whats used for pins

Yup, it's easier to ream six holes, than to sand/machine 6 bridge pins. However, it's more expensive to un-do over sized holes than to replace a pin...

But, again, to each his own.

Re: Improving their original design.

Why did Martin stop slotting the bridges and putting the proper taper on the bridge holes in the first place?

I'm betting it goes along the lines of cost savings because they do it for the really high end models and not the standard production instruments.

I also read somewhere (and I will try to find the source) that Chris Martin said he believed those procedures were more appropriately done at the post sale set up.

Archived