Gibson Brands Forums

345-355-339 pickup question

byrds1965

Looking to rebuild my collection after some time fully employed and bills caught up.

Those who have these guitars I would like to know the following as Epiphone has done some massive spec changes here with the PUs.

Found a 345 and while nice was not too impressed with the PUs stock Dots sound better. Think they might have been better off with the Alnico Plus in both slots.

Those that have the 355 it is on line as an Alnico then a Alnico Plus in the bridge? Is this how they are making them or the same as the 345 with the low powered Alnico in both slots? Also the specs say the 355 is 5 ply laminate like a real Gibson is the 345 the same thing or just 3 ply? Maybe the trade off for the Varitone?

I like the tone several new Dots I played vs the 345 so the 355 with 5 ply might be more like a super Dot if the same PUs if its like the 345 with the same in both slots I think I'll pass on both of those.

My buddy got one of the first 339s with the Probuckers by far the best Epiphone PU I have heard clean, clear, loud if a bit on the bright side.

Jamming with my bandmates again so the Ultra 339 might be a nice direction as I would only have to bring one guitar to pratice, but I would want the Pelham Blue and they are saying Alnico and Alnico Plus now. Didn't this guitar first come with the Probuckers? I know the rest of the Ultras still have the Probuckers but the Pelham is now saying Anicos?

I know they lowered the basic 339s price but it was worth the extra for the Probuckers.

Epiphone finally has a great PU here, but they are making a mess by changing all these specs around.

When you guys that have these please let me know your findings.

Thanks

Dave

I have the 355, bought back in December. It is advertised as having the Alnico Classic in the neck and the Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge, but mine came with the Alnico Classic in both spots. I thought they sounded OK but replaced them with Gibson Classic 57's.

I had never noticed before that the 355 is listed as 5-ply but the 345 is just listed as laminated maple. I would think they would be the same.

December. It is advertised as having the Alnico Classic in the neck and the Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge, but mine came with the Alnico Classic in both spots. I thought they sounded OK but replaced them with Gibson Classic 57's.

Good move! Much better sounding PU's. If cost is a concern, as it often is, check out used PU's on eBay, which is where I get almost all of most.

I have the 355, bought back in December. It is advertised as having the Alnico Classic in the neck and the Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge, but mine came with the Alnico Classic in both spots. I thought they sounded OK but replaced them with Gibson Classic 57's.

I had never noticed before that the 355 is listed as 5-ply but the 345 is just listed as laminated maple. I would think they would be the same.

Thanks I have seen it mentioned on the MF reviews as well. I did see a white one at GC but the finish was so bad it was not even worth playing.

Yes the specs brag that the 355 has the 5 ply but the 345 just list it as laminate so who knows.

Anyone with the Pelham 339 Ultra does this have the Probuckers? This one is listed on the MF website now as the Alnico's. I know it said Probuckers in the beginning. If so nice group of offerings but pretty poor execution by Epiphone on these guitars.

Thanks again.

Dave

I have a 345 and the pickups (Classics) sound ok to me.

As to 3ply or 5ply laminate I would be very surprised indeed if there is any difference between the Epiphone 345 and 355 laminate thickness. At a glance, there doesn't look to be a difference.

Archived