Gibson Brands Forums

opinions?

guitar_randy

Randy I know its over a hundred bucks for a 57 classic plus, but you gotta just take the plunge. No little video/audio clip will sound like your guitar through your amp to your ear. If you think your pickup sounds crappy, you wont regret it. And if you MUST hear for yourself, go to a dealer and ask to play a Paul that has 57s (the Plus has a little extra something extra but you'll hear what the restrained version sounds like... yes there IS a difference but its not TOO radical). Remember that it won't be thru your amp tho. I still say just order it and have it in your guitar in time for xmas - treat y'self.

Randy I know its over a hundred bucks for a 57 classic plus, but you gotta just take the plunge. No little video/audio clip will sound like your guitar through your amp to your ear. If you think your pickup sounds crappy, you wont regret it. And if you MUST hear for yourself, go to a dealer and ask to play a Paul that has 57s (the Plus has a little extra something extra but you'll hear what the restrained version sounds like... yes there IS a difference but its not TOO radical). Remember that it won't be thru your amp tho. I still say just order it and have it in your guitar in time for xmas - treat y'self.[/quote

I just did today.Ordered the 57 classic plus

You're better off finding your clean or vintage tones with your amp (low gain input) and use your guitars volume and tone pots to find the sound you want. Heck' date=' you can even try out some different amps in your local guitar shop to find the clean/vintage tone. Some Fender amps, as well as other brands, give a nice chimey/clean and/or vintage tone with hotter humbuckers. I think it's better to experiment with your amp and guitar controls rather than changing pickups. But if you want some info on Gibson pickup outputs, check out this chart. It may help.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

[/quote']

I could fiddle all day with amp[guitar controls and I will never get the tone I want.Believe me,if it were that easy,I'd have figured it out by now.I've been trying for couple years with this guitar.I ended up not playing it much anymore lately due to its tone.Picking up all my others but that one.I know getting the right pickup will do it,hopefully I picked one that will,I won't know for sure until after its in.I already am questioning my decision in my head if I should have maybe ordered the seymour duncan alnico pro 2's over the 57 classic plaus,but I ordered it now,so I'll stick with it and give it a shot.Be little expensive if not what I want,all I can do now is hope,

Archived