Gibson Brands Forums

opinions?

guitar_randy

I still am stuck with my stock 498t in my studio.Just can't decide on what to try for a replacement.

I want it to be little more vintage tonewise,but also want it to have a little growl when I crank it up.Something that is good for classic rock,but can be heay enough to do like guns and roses type of stuff also.

I was considering the 57 classic,but maybe they may be too weak to for the heavier rock.I'm thinking the 57 classic plus is probably just slightly hotter than the 57 classics?

Anybody have any suggesstions,including Gibson and non Gibson brand pickups,that can sound kinda paf like ,yet have enough bite to play heavier stuff like guns and roses?

you can play any type of music with most pickups. slash uses SD Alnico IIs which are lower output than Gibson's 498t (i believe).

but for a recommendation, slap a WB Habanero in there. or a Wolfetone Marshallhead. or a Wcr Darkburst

you can play any type of music with most pickups. slash uses SD Alnico IIs which are lower output than Gibson's 498t (i believe).

but for a recommendation' date=' slap a WB Habanero in there. or a Wolfetone Marshallhead. or a WRC Darkburst[/quote']

Yea,thats the only thing,in my opinion,that the 498t is good for ,is heavier stuff,it doesn't do cleans well,and it lacks highs,seems real bassy

The Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon is a pretty good pickup, not too hot, not too mellow. Very versatile, nice distorted sound and cleans up really well. I have one in my Ibanez SZ520 with an Alnico 2 Pro in the neck and it's a pretty good combo. I did have a Screamin' Demon in my BFG for a little while, but I decided that I wanted my BFG to be a real flamethrower so I dropped in a Dirty Fingers. The Demon sounded really good and complimented the P90 really well, but I wanted something with a bit more of a kick.

I'm thinking the 57 classic plus is probably just slightly hotter than the 57 classics?

Right.

Randy, why don't you head to a music store and try a LP with 57/57+ and see how you like them?

Any Gibson humbucker will have enough bite. I love the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo.

I wouldn't recommend them though because of the price. I think they're around $120 each.

I wouldn't recommend them though because of the price. I think they're around $120 each.

That's what you have in your R9 right?

Have you tried a pair of 2's and 3's?

how much hotter is the 3 than everything else?

So many questions!

Right.

Randy' date=' why don't you head to a music store and try a LP with 57/57+ and see how you like them?

I wouldn't recommend them though because of the price. I think they're around $120 each.[/quote']

yea,I guess I could do that snd get somewhat of an idea what they are like,even tho,probably be kinda different in my smp.I don't know if it was burstbucker,burstbucker pro or which burstbucker I heard,but the one I heard I didn't like,too much treble,highs.No bottome end.I probably am kinda particualr to what I want it to sound like.I know the tone well in my head,but had to explain.I want the paf tone pretty much as long as it also does heavier stuff ok,which I don't yet know.

I hear alot of good of non Gibson pickups too,but it is so hard to find sound clips which are good to tell.Any soundclips would be cool and appreciated.

My Custom Shop Les Paul Custom has a 498T in the bridge and, I gotta tell ya, it's a great sounding pickup. If you really don't like the way it sounds, then I encourage you to continue on your quest for tone but... if you started on your quest just becaucse you read some crap on the internet, then I suggest you live with what you have for a while and see if you *really* don't like what you have in the first place. Bottom line: listen with your EARS.

Obligatory pictures of my LP with a 498T in the bridge:

lp1.jpg

lp2.jpg

lp3.jpg

etc.

Love that Black Beauty RichCI.

I know everyone has different opinions, but the thing I've always liked about the 498T is that it gets just the sound you describe. IMO it can get a very nice vintage type sound with the volume down a little and can get a great high gain sound too. Remember, your Studio should also have a 490R, which is an Alnico II and not as hot as the bridge. I know it's much darker sounding though, being at the neck position.

My Custom Shop Les Paul Custom has a 498T in the bridge and' date=' I gotta tell ya, it's a great sounding pickup. If you really don't like the way it sounds, then I encourage you to continue on your quest for tone but... if you started on your quest just becaucse you read some crap on the internet, then I suggest you live with what you have for a while and see if you *really* don't like what you have in the first place. Bottom line: listen with your EARS.

Obligatory pictures of my LP with a 498T in the bridge:

[img']http://richci.com/images/lp1.jpg[/img]

lp2.jpg

lp3.jpg

etc.

Why would I be looking for different pickups due to reading something on the internet?I've had this guitar for a couple years now and the 498t to me is muddy,bassy,not enough highs ,not enough clarity of the notes when playing a chord,doesn't play cleans well at all.I already swapped the 498t out of my sg standard to the angus and that improved that guitar drasticallybut i don't want the angus in the lp.

Vintage? I did that on my SG. I Used Bumblebee caps and CTS Pots from RS Guitarworks with some Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups. If I plug into a tube, you wouldn't believe the vintage tone I get out of it! I am proud to admit it is only a mere 5 years old!

my favorite pickups by far are van zandt picups. you dont really come across them that often because none of the big companys use them, but luthiers use them alot. they are made by the guy who made the handmade pickups for fender back in the sixties and he still makes all of them by hand the same way he used to. they sound awesome clean but also sound spectacular cranked up and distorted. if you ever get a chance defiantely try them out, i need to save up and get one for my LP. you can even get them in zebra stripes #-o

That's what you have in your R9 right?

Have you tried a pair of 2's and 3's?

how much hotter is the 3 than everything else?

So many questions!

Yeah, pretty much every newer historic comes with BB 1 & 2.

I haven't tried the actual BB 2 & 3 combo because there are only a few Custom Shop LPs with that pair and I haven't seen one locally. My BFG had a BB3, I don't have the guitar anymore; so, I'm going off of memory. It was a great sounding pickup.

How much hotter? Honestly, I didn't find it to be a hot pickup. Nothing like the 498T or BB Pro. BB 3s have an Alnico II magnet, I think.

'57's period. Just go try em. They do it all well. I have seymours in my 7 string LP, and they are great for loud distortion, and sound decent clean, but they don't come close to the clarity and dynamic response of the '57's. You don't need the classic plus, just get the classic O:)/

Yeah' date=' pretty much every newer historic comes with BB 1 & 2.

I haven't tried the actual BB 2 & 3 combo because there are only a few Custom Shop LPs with that pair and I haven't seen one locally. My BFG had a BB3, I don't have the guitar anymore; so, I'm going off of memory. It was a great sounding pickup.

How much hotter? Honestly, I didn't find it to be a hot pickup. Nothing like the 498T or BB Pro. BB 3s have an Alnico II magnet, I think. [/quote']

It says on the little Gibson chart that the BB Pro set is almost identical in heat to the BB 1/2 combo.

You find the pro to be a lot hotter?

You're better off finding your clean or vintage tones with your amp (low gain input) and use your guitars volume and tone pots to find the sound you want. Heck, you can even try out some different amps in your local guitar shop to find the clean/vintage tone. Some Fender amps, as well as other brands, give a nice chimey/clean and/or vintage tone with hotter humbuckers. I think it's better to experiment with your amp and guitar controls rather than changing pickups. But if you want some info on Gibson pickup outputs, check out this chart. It may help.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

I have a beater LP studio and the bridge pup sound was like being stabbed in my eardrums with icepicks so I popped in a 57 classic plus and it is an ideal pairing, totally compatible with neck pup. Sounds awesome. Metal crunch& sizzle, country twang & shimmer, very jazzy with the tone rolled off some, Rock and roll snarl and bite-- just superb, can't recommend it enough for a Paul.

Love that Black Beauty RichCI.

I know everyone has different opinions' date=' but the thing I've always liked about the 498T is that it gets just the sound you describe. IMO it can get a very nice vintage type sound with the volume down a little and can get a great high gain sound too. Remember, your Studio should also have a 490R, which is an Alnico II and not as hot as the bridge. I know it's much darker sounding though, being at the neck position. [/quote']

I actually like the neck 490r pickup,its just the 498t I find lacking character

I have a beater LP studio and the bridge pup sound was like being stabbed in my eardrums with icepicks so I popped in a 57 classic plus and it is an ideal pairing' date=' totally compatible with neck pup. Sounds awesome. Metal crunch& sizzle, country twang & shimmer, very jazzy with the tone rolled off some, Rock and roll snarl and bite-- just superb, can't recommend it enough for a Paul.[/quote']

So you have the 57 classic plus in the bridge and the 490r in the neck and they seem to be paired well?

Thats encouraging as I do like the 490r also.

The 498T in my LP is a little funky in that it's a bit microphonic so it probably sounds somewhat different than others. I don't know if it was that way when I first bought the guitar or just happened over time but I really like the way it sounds although I do think it could be slightly brighter.

Ok,I have one more request.I know I am probably driving some of you crazy by now going round and round with this pickup questions,but I'm little anal when it comes to researching things I want to buy that are kinda expensive.

I am kinda leaning towards the 57 plus in the bridge of my LP.That is ,I think I'm ready to buy then I hear another clip of another pickup and I change my mind.this just goes on and on and I keep going in circles.Anyways,I now am probably 80% sure on the 57 classic plus.

So for my request.Does anyone have any sound clips,videos ,of you playing your Gibson LP thru a tube amp,clean,and overdriven you would be kind enough to share?Classic rock,blesy type of stuff thru a tube amp with little to no affects is what I'm after.

Thanks

Archived