Gibson Brands Forums

New or older Dot Studio?

bugeyed

Looking to pick up a Dot Studio in the next few days. I can play some from a limited selection. Are there any big differences is the quality or parts used for different build dates? Don't know what GC has in stock, so it would be nice to know if I should shop around for one that has something better to offer. I plan to play some, so that will be the important factor, but if the latest builds have changes something significant, I would look for those builds.

Thanks,

kev

Welcome to the forum Kev! [thumbup]

I haven't heard about any significant differences amongst the studios from year to year.

It's a decent guitar at a very decent price.

I think buying a used one is a good idea. Many of my guitars I bought used, including my 06 Dot. I love it. I found it on Craig's list. I'd look on ebay too. I have gotten some great deals there too.

Good Luck with your search. [biggrin]

The Epi Studio, build wise, has been quite consistant throughout the years.....There are, however, and have been, many different colour options,

hardware types (ie, gold, nickel, chrome), plain tops, veneered flame tops, etc etc......New or used are just fine............

Remember, via Musician's Friend, wait for, and use, their coupons.....Order by phone, and they'll honor their 15% off type coupons that say

Epis and Gibbies are excluded................And, ALL online retailers will price match............

The Epi Studio, build wise, has been quite consistant throughout the years.....There are, however, and have been, many different colour options,

hardware types (ie, gold, nickel, chrome), plain tops, veneered flame tops, etc etc......New or used are just fine............

Remember, via Musician's Friend, wait for, and use, their coupons.....Order by phone, and they'll honor their 15% off type coupons that say

Epis and Gibbies are excluded................And, ALL online retailers will price match............

Thanks, didn't know that MF would honor coupons for excluded Mfgs. Wonder is local GC will do the same?

kev

Thanks, didn't know that MF would honor coupons for excluded Mfgs. Wonder is local GC will do the same?

kev

Ah..........Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend......Dealing with GC online is "easier" than in a store IMHO.....GC coupons state the same thing;

" Talk to us in person, we'll honor the coupons on Epis." However, you often have to deal with the ACTUAL store manager, and not a salesperson

with permed hair who just upgraded to GC from a McDonald's grill job.....[flapper]:rolleyes:[crying][blink] .....ALSO, IF the online GC site says the case is included,

do not let them charge extra for the case.....They try pulling that stunt all the time, except at Midiman's GC......[thumbup] .............

Ah..........Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend......Dealing with GC online is "easier" than in a store IMHO.....GC coupons state the same thing;

" Talk to us in person, we'll honor the coupons on Epis." However, you often have to deal with the ACTUAL store manager, and not a salesperson

with permed hair who just upgraded to GC from a McDonald's grill job.....[flapper]:rolleyes:[crying][blink] .....ALSO, IF the online GC site says the case is included,

do not let them charge extra for the case.....They try pulling that stunt all the time, except at Midiman's GC......[thumbup] .............

Thanks, good to know.

k

Not trying to burst any bubble, but I got to share with you on this. My first and almost last Epiphone was a DOT Studio. It played really flat even after a setup. I was really disappointed because I liked the simplicity of the DOT Studio.

I would suggest maybe a DOT ($340), DOT Deluxe or maybe even an ES 339 Pro (both $400.) But don't let me totally discourage you, if you play the DOT Studio and like it, by all means get it. The one I had may have just been a lemon.

Not trying to burst any bubble, but I got to share with you on this. My first and almost last Epiphone was a DOT Studio. It played really flat even after a setup. I was really disappointed because I liked the simplicity of the DOT Studio.

I would suggest maybe a DOT ($340), DOT Deluxe or maybe even an ES 339 Pro (both $400.) But don't let me totally discourage you, if you play the DOT Studio and like it, by all means get it. The one I had may have just been a lemon.

Um, yes...........The regular Epi DOT, and the ES 339 at $399.00 (before coupon) are a big step up for just a bit more money.....

Great point "fretter"...........( Nighthawks are 399.00 as well........very popular........)...

Well, just got back from GC. Two of them in fact. First stop was to play the Dot Studio Brown that I was assured "didn't have a scratch on it. Perfect condition". In actuality, it was missing a knob & the switch cap & the nylon bushing on the tuning machine was split! I went to the second GC to see the natural Dot Studio & it looked pretty rough. I mean literally rough. The finish just wasn't pleasing to touch. Played OK & sounded pretty good though. I then picked up a Dot with gold hardware & it was nicer feeling, but cosmetically a wreck! The painted black edge in the f holes was sloppily applied & ventured up onto the top in several places. The tuning machines, Grover, were not mounted very straight with one rotated nearly 1/8" off line. The pups sounded better than the Studio, but this thing just looked like it was all dressed up to go out but it's makeup & clothes were a mess. I eventually ventured up a bit in price & walked out with an Ibanez Artcore AM73B tobacco finish. It just felt comfortable & the fit & finish were great. I read that some are changing the pups on this, so that may happen down the road. Glad I found this one, 'cause I was determined to come home with a new guitar today. That can be a frustrating experience sometimes. I'm just glad that I wasn't so drunk with GAS that I brought home the ugly girl!

Cheers,

kev

Congratulations on the Ibanez!! [thumbup]

Sounds like you did a good job of eliminating some bad ones.

Take some pics when you can, and post them over in the Epiphone lounge so we can all check it out. [biggrin]

Archived