Gibson Brands Forums

Burg in my LP Studio?

JDK

Are you talking about a piece of wood rattling around inside the chambered body? Gibson would probably take care of that for you if you call them. But before you do all that, take off your strings, and remove the 2 rear cover plates. See if the "burg" is something in one of these cavities, which can be easily removed. If not, then remove the pickup rings (but not the pickup from the rings)and pull the pickups out. See if the "burg" is under the pickups. If you still cannot find the "burg", then it is trapped inside the chambered body. Gibson would probably just replace the guitar as apposed to pulling off the top, removing the trash, and replacing the top and a refinish. If you like how you guitar looks, feels, plays and sounds......keep it. The replacement may not be as good :blink:

.... Does anyone recall from a few years back if Gibson took care of the issue of burgs in other members guitars? [smile]

I recall that issue. Quite the sloppy attention to detail to say the least (how about some pressurized air lines in the factory, geez). It was joke fodder around here for quite a while - of course not for the peeps who suffered an offending burg. I don't recall ever seeing a post that Gibson repaired/replaced any of them brought up here. I'm not sure how the repair of the issue could even be done at a reasonable cost - seems a replacement would be necessary for Gibson to make the situation right. Since that fiasco I've added a good shake with an attentive ear to my LP evaluation routine. . B)

I'm not even sure what a "burg" is. The general consensus was possibly a piece of wood that broke off / was left inside the chambering etc. Yes I have taken the control covers off, and no burgs came out!

Since that fiasco I've added a good shake with an attentive ear to my LP evaluation routine. . B)

Good idea! I'll add it to my list as well for future purchases.

Unfortunately for me, my used studio came years ago with the free burg already installed.

Archived