Gibson Brands Forums

more J-160E questions

DCBirdMan

I have posted before and gotten info on these. General consensus is they are not acoustically great, but good electric sound if you use nickel strings.

Does anyone think there's much of a difference in amplified sound from the very first 1950s ones, thru the 1960s, the less well thought of 70s square shoulder ones, on to the recent ones that people seems to think are pretty good.

I ask because it's just pretty much the same type of p-90-ish pickup in all of them. My own use is pretty low volume amplification no really no feedback issues to discuss.

Some have advised get a recent one, and then if you like it and still have a jones for an old one, then go shopping.

So, opinions on all eras of J 160E amplified sound are sought.

RB

The 50s J160s have a hotter pickup... They actually sound pretty Nice... Im not sold on the 60s or 70s models though..

That is good to know.

Now, Is this here below a TOTALLY WACKO idea??

Ok if your are getting good electric sound from your J 160e using nickel strings, could you get even a 1/2 decent acoustic sound (still using nickel strings) if you put in one of those high end contact pickups like K&K? I have a K&K in my J-50 and it sounds great.

You could turn down the pickup, and switch over to the acoustic pick up... or even blend them.

Would that work or is it a bad idea/waste of money. I guess one big question here is how much acoustic difference do nickel strings (in same gauge as bronze) say 12-52.. make with a contact pickup?

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted before and gotten info on these. General consensus is they are not acoustically great, but good electric sound if you use nickel strings.

Does anyone think there's much of a difference in amplified sound from the very first 1950s ones, thru the 1960s, the less well thought of 70s square shoulder ones, on to the recent ones that people seems to think are pretty good.

I ask because it's just pretty much the same type of p-90-ish pickup in all of them. My own use is pretty low volume amplification no really no feedback issues to discuss.

Some have advised get a recent one, and then if you like it and still have a jones for an old one, then go shopping.

So, opinions on all eras of J 160E amplified sound are sought.

RB

I had a '69 transitional 'square-shouldered model' I had it several years and then took a notion to sell on EBAY from lack of playing. It was not a 'stellar' guitar acousticly OR amplified......BUT it had great action AND a great neck profile. Hope this helps!

Archived