Gibson Brands Forums

What's the best neck profile?

chasAK

I think this is a question with as many subjective answers as there are persons who play guitars.

Except for the width of the nut (I prefer wider to narrower) based on the varied neck profiles of my four guitars ('74 D-28, '01 J-45, '00ish Washburn R320SW, and '65ish Matsumoko factory ES-335 knock-off) it don't make no never mind to me. 

RBSinTo

I have I guess an odd problem and an odd skill in this area.  I have a lot of vintage guitars and I play as many of them as I can slip into my life.  The main driver for my choice of a particular instrument for a particular session/opportunity is tone -- that is why I own them.  So I play a whole lot of neck profiles.

The problem it gives me is I really have to warm up with the guitar.  When I first pick it up, I am often fumbly -- missing notes and finding stuff up the neck.  The skill set is my right brain has learned to adapt very quickly, so after a very short time I lock in, and it is no longer a problem.  Usually takes less than a song, but if I have not had a chance to play it a bit before I am somehow performing for others it can be uncomfortable.    Once I lock in, I never think of it again.

So when I ask my self which I like best, I don't have an answer.  They all seem the same to me.  I have a clear idea of how each of my guitars sound -- if it was not for all the discussion on the internet I probably would not even be aware of their neck profiles.  If I love a particular neck it is only because I love the guitar sound it is attached to.

Best,

-Tom