Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Limited colours

Fret

Whats the difference?

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/standard-ltd-2011.html

In this spec they first call the 2011, Aged Cherry and then call it Antique Cherry

Probably just a typo it's definetely called aged cherry this time around and is referenced as aged in 2 other places on the same page - 1 in the colour list and 1 in the image of available finishes at the bottom of the page

Thats also a fantastic website in the link for info on SGs and also worth joining its forum. Like on here all the members are very friendly and extremely knowledgable on the world of SGs :)

I've seen that color - or at least similar finishes, referred also as worn cherry, without having a way to side by side compare, hard to know. Even in the Standards for 2012 if you look at a number of them you will see that some are darker than others, a lot probably has to do with a particular wood grain that is used on them.

Aged Cherry or Antique Cherry refer to the color the Cherry finish ages to after years of exposure - kind of a darkish brown-cherry color - Aged is generally darker than Antique.

Worn and faded reference "relic" - the finish, whatever the color, is artificially/chemically aged and worn, sometimes with bare wood exposed in spots. There were some complaints posted about the Tribute 50s/60s series "worn" finish because some had wood exposed and some didn't - the buyers apparently didn't understand what Gibson meant by "worn".

Aged Cherry

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78103.001_vintage_cherry.jpg

Antique Cherry

gbes355ardbg1-xl.jpg

Actually, the difference, at least in those pics, is also due to the different woods used in both those guitars. The SG is mahogany, which will appear darker under a translucent finish (and that one's pretty dark; almost the same color as my old '67 SG Standard, which was almost maroon-burgundy--the ES-355 is maple, which is lighter in color. They did vary a lot back in the day--early-'60's one tend to be lighter in color than later ones, even though they're all mahogany. What Gibson calls "Heritage Cherry" these days seems to be a little lighter and more red than the Dark Cherry.

Actually, the difference, at least in those pics, is also due to the different woods used in both those guitars. The SG is mahogany, which will appear darker under a translucent finish (and that one's pretty dark; almost the same color as my old '67 SG Standard, which was almost maroon-burgundy--the ES-355 is maple, which is lighter in color. They did vary a lot back in the day--early-'60's one tend to be lighter in color than later ones, even though they're all mahogany. What Gibson calls "Heritage Cherry" these days seems to be a little lighter and more red than the Aged Cherry.

I myself am slow let a starting to learn all the words used to describe gibbons. There are a lot of them, and not always consistent. I guess, in my world, that the color doesn't play the guitar, and most of the time, when I am playing, i rarely see the color, only the audience. And if they are paying to see me, then they have little taste to begin with.

Archived