Gibson Brands Forums

Want your thoughts on the Epi Les Paul Special II.

20_Gauge

I really like this guitar for my first Electric. I like the look & style of it. I don't know much about the technical parts of it, that's why I 'm starting this thread.

So, is this a good starter Electric for a beginner?

I am a guitar teacher and I frequently need to give advice to people on what their first guitar should be. In my experience the Les Paul Special II is not very good for its price. They never intonate or stay in tune well, even after professional setup, and the pickups are very poor. There are two entry-level electrics that I strongly recommend: the Peavy Raptor and the Yamaha Pacifica. These are longer scale guitars (more like a Fender) but for their price they have awesome-sounding bridge humbuckers.

The best advice about buying a guitar is this: try many, many guitars personally and then make your decision. I can only speak to the Les Paul Special IIs that I have played and heard in real life, not every one in existence. I bought a Les Paul Studio a few months ago after playing probably thirty different Les Paul Traditionals, Standards, Customs as well as Les Paul-style guitars from Yamaha, Hammer, etc. over the course of several weeks. If after trying a few guitars you decide that you like the Les Paul Special II the most, then that is the guitar you want.

Before you leave the store, make sure you try a Gibson Les Paul if you haven't yet! And finally, never buy a guitar for its looks or because of its name!

I am a guitar teacher and I frequently need to give advice to people on what their first guitar should be. In my experience the Les Paul Special II is not very good for its price. They never intonate or stay in tune well, even after professional setup, and the pickups are very poor. There are two entry-level electrics that I strongly recommend: the Peavy Raptor and the Yamaha Pacifica. These are longer scale guitars (more like a Fender) but for their price they have awesome-sounding bridge humbuckers.

The best advice about buying a guitar is this: try many, many guitars personally and then make your decision. I can only speak to the Les Paul Special IIs that I have played and heard in real life, not every one in existence. I bought a Les Paul Studio a few months ago after playing probably thirty different Les Paul Traditionals, Standards, Customs as well as Les Paul-style guitars from Yamaha, Hammer, etc. over the course of several weeks. If after trying a few guitars you decide that you like the Les Paul Special II the most, then that is the guitar you want.

Before you leave the store, make sure you try a Gibson Les Paul if you haven't yet! And finally, never buy a guitar for its looks or because of its name!

Thanks for the reply & advice, Marty.

I just checked those out, little more $$ than I want to spend on my 1st Electric.

Would really prefer to get an Epiphone, do you have any recommendations of (reasonably priced(won't break my bank) Epiphone Electrics?

It's lower priced than the LP Special II, and you get one less pup. So I would much rather have the Special II.

But I would never buy a Special II either because it's just not that great of a guitar.

People who have been playing for a while are trying to tell you to spend a little more, for a much better guitar. You keep saying it's too much money. Well, how about waiting a little longer and saving up a little more money?

It will be worth it, trust me.

You can get a Vintage G400, or a Dot Studio for $260. And with those guitars you will getting a set-neck, good tuners, and decent pickups.

You won't get any of that with the models you keep bringing up.

This is just my opinion, and you certainly don't have to agree with me.

But the first electric guitar I ever bought was an Epi G400. Five years later, I now own 8 electric guitars.

But I still have that G400. Because it's a quality guitar. [thumbup]

It's lower priced than the LP Special II, and you get one less pup. So I would much rather have the Special II.

But I would never buy a Special II either because it's just not that great of a guitar.

People who have been playing for a while are trying to tell you to spend a little more, for a much better guitar. You keep saying it's too much money. Well, how about waiting a little longer and saving up a little more money?

It will be worth it, trust me.

You can get a Vintage G400, or a Dot Studio for $260. And with those guitars you will getting a set-neck, good tuners, and decent pickups.

You won't get any of that with the models you keep bringing up.

This is just my opinion, and you certainly don't have to agree with me.

But the first electric guitar I ever bought was an Epi G400. Five years later, I now own 8 electric guitars.

But I still have that G400. Because it's a quality guitar. [thumbup]

Yeah you're right, brad. I'm a little hard headed. [tongue] I'll stash away some $$ for a more expensive Electric, not like I buy an Electric right now anyway.

I just like the thought of gettin' a LP. I have been lookin' at 1 Dot Studio in particular(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-dot-studio-semi-hollow-electric-guitar). I did see a nice LP in that same price range(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar). Which one would you suggest I start with?

Yeah you're right, brad. I'm a little hard headed. [tongue] I'll stash away some $$ for a more expensive Electric, not like I buy an Electric right now anyway.

I just like the thought of gettin' a LP. I have been lookin' at 1 Dot Studio in particular(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-dot-studio-semi-hollow-electric-guitar). I did see a nice LP in that same price range(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar). Which one would you suggest I start with?

I would get the Dot. It has a set neck, and is a very versatile guitar. I love my Dot, and play it as much as my Epi LE Standard Plus LP.

It has a neck that is slightly larger than an Epi Lp however. If you have small hands, this might matter. You can get an Epi Studio LP for about $299 (blemished). I believe it would have a slimmer neck on it.

But between the two you mentioned. Definitely the Dot. [thumbup]

I get most of my guitars used, and save a lot of money that way. I don't get any of the bolt-on neck Epi's (everything on them is made cheap) as it's just an exercise in frustration; you're much better off with a set neck model, like a G-400 SG Std, which often go pretty cheap used. Good guitars. I've gotten some good deals on used Dots in great condition. Check out eBay, Craig's List, and local pawn shops. Once in a while an LP Std or Studio will go for a low price. For $200 to $250 you can get a nice set neck Epi that orginally sold for $400 to $500. Much more guitar for your money. Make sure it's been well cared for, the electronics work, the frets aren't worn down, and the neck is straight. That only takes a couple minutes.

I would get the Dot. It has a set neck, and is a very versatile guitar. I love my Dot, and play it as much as my Epi LE Standard Plus LP.

It has a neck that is slightly larger than an Epi Lp however. If you have small hands, this might matter. You can get an Epi Studio LP for about $299 (blemished). I believe it would have a slimmer neck on it.

But between the two you mentioned. Definitely the Dot. [thumbup]

Thanks, brad.

I do have relatively small hands, so if if the Dot has a larger neck it might be difficult to maneuver on. Being that I'm just startin', I don't want some that might discourage me from playin' it.

Thanks for mentioning this. Will prob'ly go with the LP Studio($249) that I mentioned above 'cause of the smaller neck. Will definitely consider gettin' the Dot down the road though 'cause I do like that guitar & the versatility of it.

I get most of my guitars used, and save a lot of money that way. I don't get any of the bolt-on neck Epi's (everything on them is made cheap) as it's just an exercise in frustration; you're much better off with a set neck model, like a G-400 SG Std, which often go pretty cheap used. Good guitars. I've gotten some good deals on used Dots in great condition. Check out eBay, Craig's List, and local pawn shops. Once in a while an LP Std or Studio will go for a low price. For $200 to $250 you can get a nice set neck Epi that orginally sold for $400 to $500. Much more guitar for your money. Make sure it's been well cared for, the electronics work, the frets aren't worn down, and the neck is straight. That only takes a couple minutes.

Thanks. for the advice, Blueman.

I'll definitely check around when I get ready to buy it.

I just want to but-in here and say that there are no intonating problems with the LP Special as stated earlier. It uses the same stopbar/tailpiece design and hardware that 90% of the Epiphone Les Pauls have installed. It has individual saddles and full intonation and adjustment capabilities.

I do agree with the sentiment about the tuners and pickups...and throw in the nut as well. But many people buy the Special II with the intention of upgrading the tuners, nut and pickups. They can be a decent guitar if you are willing to invest a little time and money in to them. Not really an "out of the box" guitar IMO.

I do agree with the sentiment about the tuners and pickups...and throw in the nut as well. But many people buy the Special II with the intention of upgrading the tuners, nut and pickups. They can be a decent guitar if you are willing to invest a little time and money in to them. Not really an "out of the box" guitar IMO.

And that's the thing. By the time you replace those parts to get it enjoyable to play, you could have gotten a G400, Dot, or LP Std/Studio.

I do have relatively small hands, so if if the Dot has a larger neck it might be difficult to maneuver on. Being that I'm just startin', I don't want some that might discourage me from playin' it.

Most Dots do not have thick necks (I've played/owned many), most Epi's in general do not have thick necks. I don't think they really do it by model, which has a fat or thin neck. Epi necks just vary, as they do on Gibsons. Don't exclude a model just because a few examples have a certain size neck.

Most Dots do not have thick necks (I've played/owned many), most Epi's in general do not have thick necks. I don't think they really do it by model, which has a fat or thin neck. Epi necks just vary, as they do on Gibsons. Don't exclude a model just because a few examples have a certain size neck.

I don't exclude any models, Blueman. As ya can tell( if ya have read any of my past posts), I change my mind many times before I finally get a guitar. I set out to get a DR-100 Acoustic & changed my mind many times before choosing my EJ-200 Artist. I just try to get all the info I can to make an informed purchase.

Seein' that it's (prob'ly)gonna gonna be a few months(at least) before I do decide to buy an Electric, I'm gonna just go down to George's Music by my house to feel different models(Dots & LPs). Bein' that there are little differences in every model, that might be the best for me.

And that's the thing. By the time you replace those parts to get it enjoyable to play, you could have gotten a G400, Dot, or LP Std/Studio.

Oh, I totally agree. I dont own one because I know how to squeeze a lot more bang out of my bucks. I'd consider one on the used market if the price was right. If Epiphone would just upgrade the tuners, it would make a huge diffeence, IMO.

I think I'll also butt in here since I already replied to your other topic about this :P

Do try to find a used studio, and if you can't find one, save up. I always buy my guitars either second hand or B-stock too. You save a lot of money, and usually the guitars are great. My first LP studio was second hand too, I bought it with upgraded pups (which cost almost as much as the guitar itself) for less than the original buying price of a new one. And I love it. And my Ultra-III, which was B-stock, is probably one of the best in these forums, since the majority of people seem to have had problems with them - mine is perfect.

They're just better guitars. If you can find one cheap, go for it.

I always buy my guitars either second hand or B-stock too. You save a lot of money, and usually the guitars are great. My first LP studio was second hand too, I bought it with upgraded pups (which cost almost as much as the guitar itself) for less than the original buying price of a new one. And I love it.

+1. That's how to to get a nice guitar for a minimal investment. Look for a deal on a used set-neck import and buy a couple used high quality PU's online. Get Dan Erlewine's book: 'How to make your electric guitar play great' and you can do your own set-ups. Learn a few easy basics and you can save a lot of money.

Getting a cheap entry-level guitar isn't the bargain it seems to be.

+1. That's how to to get a nice guitar for a minimal investment. Look for a deal on a used set-neck import and buy a couple used high quality PU's online. Get Dan Erlewine's book: 'How to make your electric guitar play great' and you can do your own set-ups. Learn a few easy basics and you can save a lot of money.

Getting a cheap entry-level guitar isn't the bargain it seems to be.

In my own experience I've found that the set-neck instruments seem the hold their intonation and the neck will stay straighter than a bolt-on, especially a cheaper bolt-on neck.

When the seasons change I will have to tweek the bolt-on guitars whereas the set-neck stay true.

Just my $.02s worth...

The Epi collection-

TheEpiphoneCollection.jpg

In my own experience I've found that the set-neck instruments seem the hold their intonation and the neck will stay straighter than a bolt-on, especially a cheaper bolt-on neck.

When the seasons change I will have to tweek the bolt-on guitars whereas the set-neck stay true.

Good point. Nice guitars too, BTW.

Good point. Nice guitars too, BTW.

Thanks Blueman335, the Epi collection started with the 1992 black Sheraton back in 1995-I was looking for an Epi dot when the Sheraton caught my eye at a music store about an hour for my home. I played it till it was closing time at the music store and was there when the store opened the next morning...I was not letting it get away!

It's the prize of my collection.

Just my $.02s worth...

The Epi collection-

TheEpiphoneCollection.jpg

Thanks for the insight on the 2 types of necks, anfontan. [thumbup]

Great collection, those are some sharp-lookin' guitars.

To the original poster: It's a good idea to do your research and gather information on a purchase, but ultimately it all comes down to the instruments available for you to try and how much time you're willing to spend putting your hands in actual guitars. When you pick up a guitar and fall in love with it, then there will be no doubt that you should purchase it and no risk of buyer's remorse later on.

To the original poster: It's a good idea to do your research and gather information on a purchase, but ultimately it all comes down to the instruments available for you to try and how much time you're willing to spend putting your hands in actual guitars. When you pick up a guitar and fall in love with it, then there will be no doubt that you should purchase it and no risk of buyer's remorse later on.

Thanks, Marty. Sound advice.

Archived