Gibson Brands Forums

Using artist models live

AJ B.

I have a Joe Bonamassa Les Paul studio and I love to play it live. I was wondering if big name artists that play in big stadiums besides the signature artist are allowed to play signature models; If it violates some kind of copyright or something. I've never seen a live artist play a signature model unless it was their own. IF i made it that far, I wouldn't want to stop playing it!

Well, I really don't know, but after all the Les Paul Model itself is a signature model, and as far as I'm concerned playin' a LP live doesn't violate any copyright.

Nevertheless, I suppose that for the big artists may appear a little unsuitable playing a guitar named with the signature of one of their competitors ..

When Barney Kessel was alive I once asked him on why he didn't use his signature Gibson that had his name on it? He looked me straight in the eye and said very matter of factly 'because they didn't PAY me to use the guitar'............IN fact he received next to no money from said endorsement of Gibson Guitars....jim in Maine

First part:

As far as any "rights" to play your guitar, you have payed for it and therefore have effectively bought the rights to play the guitar whenever and where ever you choose. If they put a name to it or a signature and sell it that way, it is not for them to tell you you can't use it. And it would be real hard for someone to come after a company and say they couldn't allow their signature to be shown an camera or used live when they have already been paid and given permission to use the name.

But, regardless of that, I doubt Mr. B would have a problem with it. I think he would see it more like an honor that you liked it so much and feel proud it passes your test.

I can't think of any specific instances, but I think using other artist models by poeple other than the artist happens a lot, or at least as much as any other poeple. I don't think those who have "made it" are as vain about it as a lot of folks. (they got other things to be vain about). But in a lot of cases, when a manufacturer notices a well-known artist playing anotherartist' guitar, they take the oppurtunity to make the artist one of their own. And I think that works both ways.

Archived