Gibson Brands Forums

NGD ES-339 Pro

Bones

Actually got it last week, but didn't get a chance to clean it up and do a string change until today.

First of all, it's a beautiful guitar and appears to be very well built. Whether that's a result of paying attention to detail or filling all the flaws with bulletproof polyester, i don't know and really don't care. it looks great and sounds great. The neck is also very nice, excellent fretwork BUT the fretboard was as dry as dry can be. My Epi '61 SG was the same way. I'm not really sure if this is something that happens as a result of being shipped in hot cargo containers, but it sure seems like something that should be noticed during the '100% inspected and set-up in the USA " process. There's also two small dents, one in each of the pup covers like a 100% USA set-up guy dropped a screwdriver on them. Not thrilled about that, but, I'm not sending it back for something so minor.

Anyway, after cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I set it up with Fender pure nickle wound 150s in 11-48 and that seems to be the right guage, the Gibson "brite wires" 10s it came with were absolute crap, Gibson shouldn't allow their name to be use don those strings. Very rough and pitted feel to them.

I made two videos of me playing this guirar this morning, but after watching them and being hyper-critical about everything in them, I will have to try again later.

Anyway, buy one of these, they are great and for less than $400, I don't think there's anyway you could be disappointed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GZwk06cwMAa_0LX-oTxcJtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HiORESq83bEU4IPHQis_ndMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WIv6HpmSjK7y1puJhhZDiNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XoCU_1zdGKNo546IfMBebdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Beautiful! I wish I woulda waited for that color..lol. I got an Ebony last month. I love it. At twice the price they would be good guitars. Well almost twice. Nice pics! Dang it looks a lot better then the website pics. Congrats!

Actually got it last week, but didn't get a chance to clean it up and do a string change until today.

First of all, it's a beautiful guitar and appears to be very well built. Whether that's a result of paying attention to detail or filling all the flaws with bulletproof polyester, i don't know and really don't care. it looks great and sounds great. The neck is also very nice, excellent fretwork BUT the fretboard was as dry as dry can be. My Epi '61 SG was the same way. I'm not really sure if this is something that happens as a result of being shipped in hot cargo containers, but it sure seems like something that should be noticed during the '100% inspected and set-up in the USA " process. There's also two small dents, one in each of the pup covers like a 100% USA set-up guy dropped a screwdriver on them. Not thrilled about that, but, I'm not sending it back for something so minor.

Anyway, after cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I set it up with Fender pure nickle wound 150s in 11-48 and that seems to be the right guage, the Gibson "brite wires" 10s it came with were absolute crap, Gibson shouldn't allow their name to be use don those strings. Very rough and pitted feel to them.

I made two videos of me playing this guirar this morning, but after watching them and being hyper-critical about everything in them, I will have to try again later.

Anyway, buy one of these, they are great and for less than $400, I don't think there's anyway you could be disappointed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GZwk06cwMAa_0LX-oTxcJtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HiORESq83bEU4IPHQis_ndMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WIv6HpmSjK7y1puJhhZDiNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XoCU_1zdGKNo546IfMBebdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Holy Crap, your pics looked so good, I just ordered one of those Vintage Sunbursts. Now I have two 339's. Anyone want to buy an Ebony? Man I can't believe I just did that.I like the Ebony, and I'm gonna like the Sunburst. But I may be divorced soon. The guy at Sam Ash gave me $50 off. how bout that? $349 shipped aint bad for one of these beauty's.

Holy Crap, your pics looked so good, I just ordered one of those Vintage Sunbursts. Now I have two 339's. Anyone want to buy an Ebony? Man I can't believe I just did that.I like the Ebony, and I'm gonna like the Sunburst. But I may be divorced soon. The guy at Sam Ash gave me $50 off. how bout that? $349 shipped aint bad for one of these beauty's.

[thumbup] this pics on the guitar sites didn't really show the true color and i was pleasantly surprised by how nice the finish was. Hope you get a nice one too.

[thumbup] this pics on the guitar sites didn't really show the true color and i was pleasantly surprised by how nice the finish was. Hope you get a nice one too.

Me too! I imagine it will be beautiful! I don't think they set them up at Sam Ash, the last one I bought at American Musuc had a tag noting everything they had went over on it. Form his pic, I think much of the beauty is from removing the pickguard. I mihght do that too. But my pickguard serve a purpose for me I have big hands and use them regularly.. I might leave it on. My Ebony is beautiful, and I wanted one, but I gotta say the VS is awesome!

Me too! I imagine it will be beautiful! I don't think they set them up at Sam Ash, the last one I bought at American Musuc had a tag noting everything they had went over on it. Form his pic, I think much of the beauty is from removing the pickguard. I mihght do that too. But my pickguard serve a purpose for me I have big hands and use them regularly.. I might leave it on. My Ebony is beautiful, and I wanted one, but I gotta say the VS is awesome!

I'm 6'5', I have giant hands, that P/G was in the way for me. Not sure if it's because of the smaller body size or what, but I had to get it off of there.

I'm 6'5', I have giant hands, that P/G was in the way for me. Not sure if it's because of the smaller body size or what, but I had to get it off of there.

I aint quite that big but I can understand. I don't finger pick much, so I find three of my fingers draggin on the pickguard a lot. I might remove it and see how the poly coat holds up. It sure makes the guitar look better. I have several guitars without pick guards, and they haven't worn out yet. If I like a guitar it won't matter if it gets worn some anyway. heck people are paying high dollar for beat up "relic" guitars. I don't understand it, but each to his won. You got me in trouble with those pics, within half an hour I had located one at Sam Ash, and now I am going to have two of these guitars. I seriously don't need two of them. I have a cherry Dot, so when I was looking at the 339's I chose the Ebony, mainly because the Sunburst wasn't available. Just the Natural and the Cherry. I like the Ebony, but if the sunburst looks as good as yours, I will be trying to give someone a good deal on the Ebony..lol. I have too many guitars.

I retired this Spring, and kinda went nuts buying stuff with my last paychecks. I Bought a PRS SE-Custom 24, a PRS SE-Santana, the Black 339, a SX Furrian Tele, and now this other 339. I have a disease I can't control..lol MY wall is full and my closet is full. And I am just a hobby-est guitar player. I think right now, not counting acoustics, I will have 13. :o(

This last one is your fault..lol

Archived