Gibson Brands Forums

SG Video

1998StandardSG

As I mentioned here is a short video that give you an idea of the difference between the special and the standard (or at least mine) In another post I was saying how my special is considerably brighter than any other special I heard before and I think in the video that is not hard to hear.

Please give me your feedback and if you have a video to post in response please do.

Interesting vid......I currently only own one SG; I put a 57 & a 57+ in it

I hear a lot of people love the 57s in SGs. I don't hear many people using them in Les Pauls though.

Whoa, that's a pretty drastic difference. Maybe it's the pickup height?

I thought that may have a bit to the issue so I adjusted the pickups numerous times and can't seem to get it to sound less bright.

The sound is a huge difference from the Standard but I guess that's pretty cool. It would just be nice to understand WHY it's so different that other Specials even...

I hear a lot of people love the 57s in SGs. I don't hear many people using them in Les Pauls though.

I thought that may have a bit to the issue so I adjusted the pickups numerous times and can't seem to get it to sound less bright.

The sound is a huge difference from the Standard but I guess that's pretty cool. It would just be nice to understand WHY it's so different that other Specials even...

My 2007 Les Paul Classic Antique came with '57 Classics and I love them!

On to your differences, they are quite substantial. Don't know the reason, but you mentioned year of manuf, for one guitar, didn't hear the other. Perhaps simply differences in "the same" pickup from year to year?

My thought is, you have two guitars that sound different. Embrace that and enjoy it (though I certainly understand wanting to know why!). Wouldn't it sort of suck if they sounded the same?

FWIW, I have 4 Stratocasters, all with different pickups. All sound a bit different, and I really like that.

My 2007 Les Paul Classic Antique came with '57 Classics and I love them!

On to your differences, they are quite substantial. Don't know the reason, but you mentioned year of manuf, for one guitar, didn't hear the other. Perhaps simply differences in "the same" pickup from year to year?

My thought is, you have two guitars that sound different. Embrace that and enjoy it (though I certainly understand wanting to know why!). Wouldn't it sort of suck if they sounded the same?

FWIW, I have 4 Stratocasters, all with different pickups. All sound a bit different, and I really like that.

The special is a 96, I think I did forget to mention that. But I'm very happy that they sound different but the brightness of the special can be a bit extreme. Nothing rolling back the tone can't fix. The more I listen to it the more I'm wanting to play the intro to CCR "Jambalaya"!

I used to have an SG Special Faded that, when I compared to my SG Standard, was noticeably brighter. However, there wasn't nearly the difference that I hear in your video. You definitely have a particularly snappy sounding Special there. Not that that's a bad thing at all. You have a nice variety of tones between your two SGs.

Wow, that is a big difference... I have a 2001 Gibson SG Gothic stock w/ 490's, and I compared it to a Standard(new) at GC in the amp room. The Standard was brighter and a bit hotter than my Gothic. The Gothic was warmer and less punchy. Weird...

Wow, that is a big difference... I have a 2001 Gibson SG Gothic stock w/ 490's, and I compared it to a Standard(new) at GC in the amp room. The Standard was brighter and a bit hotter than my Gothic. The Gothic was warmer and less punchy. Weird...

How do you like the Gothic??? How is that different from the Voodoo and the Menace series? I know the Menace has smokey coil pickups so that is a difference. Any info???

How do you like the Gothic??? How is that different from the Voodoo and the Menace series? I know the Menace has smokey coil pickups so that is a difference. Any info???

I love the Gothic! The satin nitro finish is feels like glass... incredible! It it also very heavy for an SG, I really like the weight and balance. I think because the finish is not a high gloss(less coats of nitro) it has a darker tone about it.(no pun intended)

And the Ebony fretboard is absolutely awesome!! I'll never go back to rosewood. I've also owned a SG Voodoo a long time ago... the body is swamp ash w/ a mahogany neck...the balance was pretty bad, neck dive city. The pups in the Voodoo were extremely hot... maybe hotter than a 500t! I broke the neck off that Voodoo after it fell in the case off the top of my amp. Very sad. Well, I am too curious about the Menace...I have yet to play or see one in person. Looks pretty cool except the "tattoo logo" with the heart. If you come across a 2000-2002 Gothic don't hesitate to buy it. I play in a metal/hardcore band(think Iron Maiden meets Sworn Enemy) and the pups(490's) sound great through my 5150 stack. Hope this helps...

Archived