Gibson Brands Forums

Howard Roberts on eBay

brad4d8

There's an Epi Howard Roberts on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261038332769&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123) that the seller describes as having a solid top as opposed to a Gibson HR with a laminated top. The serial number indicates a Korean model, and I thought the solid tops were only in the older US made versions.

>Although Gibson has provided the same series of guitar, the main difference between the Epiphone Howard Roberts made by both vendors is at the top in which Gibson is laminated maple while the Epiphone is on the solid spruce wood.<

Any feedback?

Brad

I think the seller has the specs confused with the Howard Roberts Imperial Series Reissue made from 1992-1994 in Japan. Every catalog I have with the HR-1 says they have laminated tops and rosewood fingerboards. He claims it to have a solid top and ebony fingerboard. Even looking at the grainy pics you can clearly see that the fingerboard is rosewood on his guitar.

You are correct in thinking that the USA Howard Roberts guitars had solid tops, but so did the Japanese reissues. Not so for the Korean HR guitars. But at least he has it priced right in his listing. $300 is a good starting bid IMO, regardless of the wrong specifications he listed.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Howard_Roberts

I'm not sure what the going price for these guitars are. I'm guessing around $500 give or take. Thats just a guess though.

That's what they've averaged on eBay the last year or so, at least for the Korean ones. The US ones go for a lot more, $2,000-3,000, depending on condition and which model. Haven't seen any of the Imperials since I've been tracking.

Brad

Its up to $455 so far and the reserve is still not met. I'm guessing its $500. Five days to go still. This HR might just get close to $600. We'll see...

Still at $455, less than one day to go. I wonder if the seller thinks he has the guitar he describes, with the solid top and ebony board, in which case he may have a reserve much higher than $500 (as well as more than the guitar is worth).

Brad

It's definitely the laminated top version. A fair price would be $500. Saw the exact same model recently selling for $399, but passed on it. Also saw a dealer on Gbase trying to sell one for $799. The only thing that bugs me about this Korean version is the soundhole being so much larger than the originals. Otherwise, it's a nice looking instrument.

Archived