Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on fret leveling & polishing

Hi Ya'll,

I would like to get some feedback on the benefits of Fret leveling & polishing on a new Gibby. Is it a high or low payback investment into a guitar? I'm looking to get about as easy a playing a git as I can as I'm loosing too much finger/hand strength as I age. Been doing exercises to slow the process, but that just may be what I'm looking at for a while.

Is this something for me to attempt or leave for only a Luthier to perform if it makes a great deal of difference. It would be for a J-45 & a Dove BTW.

Thanks!!!

Aster

Hi Aster

On an Electric, where the action is typically much lower, it can make a huge difference, and acoustic, I would think it would be a bit less noticeable. Either way I would not do this myself. This requires some level of skill, as the frets have to not only be leveled but also crowned properly, otherwise, you can hose your intonation for ever.

There are some additional benefits to the having the leveling checked, and of course, a lot depends on how good of a fret job was done at the factory, often times, the frets themselves can be loose in the slots, and move around a bit. A good luthier can find the high/low and loose frets quickly, and address them.

If it's a newer model, I would think that the PLEK machine would have been taken in to use, that should make for a more consistent fret job out of the factory. But either way, a good repair person could asses and find the flaws for you.

/kb

Thanks for the info. Unless someone that knows for sure (like Gibson C/S) I was under the impression that the PLEK plane is only used on certain high end Electrics. Anyone know? Cuz if my new J-45 Custom was PLEKed then they need a new man at the dials for sure! :rolleyes:

Same with the Dove (better than the 45 though).

What's the polishing do for playing ease? I know that a perfect level fretboard has benefits for sure against buzzing.

Aster

Hi Aster!

I just started doing my own fretwork after I became disillusioned with the work of the luthiers in my area. StewMac has a selection of great tools that could help you and they have great instructional videos by Dan Erlewine re: fretwork.

Having your guitar "set up" usually includes levelling, crowning, and polishing the frets, adjusting the neck (truss rod) and adjusting the string height at the nut and the saddle. It will definitely make a difference in playability.

I think my advice to you in this case though would be to find a luthier you trust and take those guitars to him to get set up. Buying the tools and the video will cost almost as much as having someone set the guitars up once and those are pretty expensive instruments to learn on. I hacked away at my Epiphone Dobro and a J. Turser acoustic and am still not quite ready to do my ES-125 even though the results were quite good.

Best of luck,

dave

Thanks for the info. Unless someone that knows for sure (like Gibson C/S) I was under the impression that the PLEK plane is only used on certain high end Electrics. Anyone know? Cuz if my new J-45 Custom was PLEKed then they need a new man at the dials for sure! :rolleyes:

Same with the Dove (better than the 45 though).

What's the polishing do for playing ease? I know that a perfect level fretboard has benefits for sure against buzzing.

Aster

Not sure about PLEK and acoustics, my SG I think was done with PLEK and the action was really great right out of the box.

There is a fret polshing kit from Planet Waves, that you can definitely do your self, it's just a light abrasive paper and a piece of cardboard to protect your fret board. Should help the "bends"!

Archived