Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 SN & date question

keef-riff

New to the forum, but not to Gibsons. I have just got a Gibson ES-175, SN 600326, with Made In USA stamped into the wood under the SN on the back of the headstock. The sticker inside the body, is square, with an X dividing it into 4 spaces, the top of the sticker is Black background, and the bottom a purple background.

I emailed Gibson, and they said that it was from 1970, to 1975. Because of records from that era, that was as much as they could tell.

Anybody, know more???

Potentiometer codes will add another piece to the puzzle, but reading them is not an easy feat inside a hollowbody.

I may try a repair person I know...he might have a mirror to see in there.....another piece to a puzzle is correct.

Gibson gave you the 1970-'75 year range because of the label type and format of the serial number/factory order number. Unfortunately, Gibson identification numbers in this period are notoriously unreliable, so it is virtually impossible to pin down the year any closer than that.

It is almost certainly a 1970-1975 guitar, and the year of manufacture in this period has little or no impact on the value.

Thanks Nick, That is good to know. The 175 will not be sold till I am gone...I got this one because of my friendship with it's owner. He was a good man, and a great friend. Could not stand the thought of this guitar going to someone that did not love it. Plus, it is a great guitar...lots of great times playing beside it on a stage.

Thanks Nick, That is good to know. The 175 will not be sold till I am gone...I got this one because of my friendship with it's owner. He was a good man, and a great friend. Could not stand the thought of this guitar going to someone that did not love it. Plus, it is a great guitar...lots of great times playing beside it on a stage.

That's exactly the right attitude!

• 1 month later...

Thanks retro, we did indeed. Ray was a good man, and a killer player & singer. I have had time to play this guitar out a few times, and I have fell even more in love with it. A 175 straight into an amp, a little reverb...priceless.

Archived