Gibson Brands Forums

1978 SG custom----color?

lovetoplay

Hello all,

Glad to have found this site. I'm looking to add a 1978 Gibson SG custom to my collection. Problem I am having is that the color on the body is an electric blue kinda color and I have never seen this on another SG of this era. The paint is also super clean free of rub marks etc which make me concerned about a respray. The serial number is legit for what it is described as. Can anyone tell me if there is a resource to determine if this color is correct to the period?

The SG Custom did not have pelham blue as finish option back in 1978; it would need to be a custom ordered SG in pelham blue you are looking for then !

So this is either non orig paint or a custom shop order? Is there anyway to tell if its repaint vs custom?

it would need to be a custom ordered SG in pelham blue

OK, let me explain something to you people that weren't around in the 70's.... You didn't "custom order" ANYTHING. Guitars were CHEAP. $500 bought a brand new Les Paul or SG, and then you gave it to the guy down the street (who's father was a cabinet maker) for a custom paint job. There was NO "Gibson Custom Shop" at the time, and to the best of my knowledge, there were no "custom orders" unless you were SOMEBODY. This was the "Norlin Era", and their business plan was pretty simple, manufacture and sell as many guitars as cheaply as possible for maximum profit.

This business plan did NOT include a one-off SG in Pelhum Blue.

So this is either non orig paint or a custom shop order? Is there anyway to tell if its repaint vs custom?

Actually when Gibson did do a one-off guitar, it would have to come from a big distributor. Guitar Center was able to get one-off guitars often, and would place custom orders. The Kalamazoo plant from what I was told, would build just about anything within reason, and it's primary function during the latter part of the 70's was to be the Custom shop until the Nashville Plant was brought up to speed..... Even the Nashville plant put out some very nice one-off guitars in the very early 1980's.

I'm not sure how well Gibson kept its records of those late 70's and early 80's one-off guitars. But Gibson did give them special markings like head-stock plaques and different serial numbers to differentiate them from a standard production guitars.

I think we can all agree the 70's was a weird era for most things...... The clothing styles were terrible, and the doods wore short pants shorter than most girls... And the ugly bushy side burns and the showing off of chest hair was friggin hilarious [thumbdn][laugh]

Archived