Gibson Brands Forums

Fully compensated Bridge for J-45 & Dove

Thanks for reading. I'm interested in feedback on swapping out my stock saddles on the Gibson Dove & J-45 Custom. Anyone have any great results or shortcomings by doing this? If so what did you notice & use?

Thanks!!

Aster

What are your 'stock saddles' like at this point? I am not sure if you are looking for bone (straight) or compensated?

I am sure some minor differences could be achieved with some proper changes... [thumbup]

Okay....Duhhh! I see that you are looking for the compensated saddle by the title...I have no experience with them, so I will shut-up.... [biggrin]

Okay....Duhhh! I see that you are looking for the compensated saddle by the title...I have no experience with them, so I will shut-up.... [biggrin]

Well don't do that!!! You're the only one that has wanted to answer anything. Was thinking I was on the "black list" or something!! [unsure]

Just didn't know if the compensated saddles really fix the intonation and if so what's the cost in sound if any?

Thanks anyway Rod. Are you just running the stock bone saddles with or without the B string cut?

Aster

Yep, just stock saddles. All are old. I can,t see why a compensated bone saddle would hurt tone though? I do,however, think a good bone nut makes a huge and positive difference in tone from my experience.

What years are the guitars that you are considering?

RRod

The Dove & J-45 Custom were made in spring 2011 Gibson Montana. Love them both. Got my heart set on a Hummingbird someday too. I may get a Bone or Tusq. saddle for my Fuller J-160E '62 Reissue sometime too. Would like a Ceramic for that extra Beatles sound. But all I've seen are ratty looking quality & $80. Would pay the $80 but not for fractured looking parts. [thumbdn]

Rod, you've got more real Vintage stuff don't you? I get mixed up easy who has what.

Aster

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been out of town for a while on Vacation. Dan, what did you notice with the saddle change with the B.C. bone version?

Thanks for the help.

Aster

Like biting into a crisp apple. Intonation was perfect. A month later my luthier tweaked it a bit to customize the action for me, resulting in a nice low action all across the neck.

J45Bridge_zpscaf8e69e.jpg

• 1 month later...

One other thang. I've heard or read that the trend to compensated saddles on flattops coincides with an historic trend from medium weight or even heavy strings to light or extra light or ultra light or what have you. And that the lighter weight strings need the compensation or need it more. Haven't done much to test this "rule," but it seems kind of reasonable.

That's good to know. With the loss of some hand strength 11's are as heavy of strings I can handle on any guitar. 12's no way esp. on an acoustic.

I may put one on my Christmas list. I did get a bone saddle for my J-160E and didn't like it at all. Put a Tusq one on & loved it. It may be about as close as I can get w/o laying out big $$$ for an old ceramic adjustable version.

Thanks for the info.

Aster

• 1 year later...

Hi Esther just wanted to say I enjoyed your input as I also just acquired a 1977 Gibson dove that regrettably has a split in half bridge that I have been researching as I would love to find a stock mother of pearl replacement as I do not believe the one that is on the guitar is repairable I will be watching for anybody and all important as I I am moving forward very

Archived