Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Smith Appraisal

kennymo

Hello

Thanks in advance for a question that I have.

My Dad just passed and left me a Beautiful Blond Johnny Smith. Where would a guy go and find the value of such a animal. I know it's worth something, I just don't know what. He also left me a Fender Twin Reverb amplifier. Any Suggestions on where a guy could go to start looking would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I would sell, from my understanding it appreciates about 9 % annually, so I may just hold on to it but I may need to insure it... Thanks

Kennymo

Kennymo,

Can you give us the years of both the Johnny Smith and the Fender? Do you have any jpegs of both? Is the Johnny Smith in original condition? Lastly can you give us the serial number for the Johnny Smith? We can then give you a fairly accurate estimate in regards to value. Thank you, jim in Maine

And oh yes be very careful of some of the bigshot dealers of guitars especially given our horrendous economy. I suspect that it may be in your best interest to hold on to them until the economy improves..........jim in Maine

And oh yes be very careful of some of the bigshot dealers of guitars especially given our horrendous economy. I suspect that it may be in your best interest to hold on to them until the economy improves..........jim in Maine

Thanks Jim for getting back with me

The serial number is 06100412 for the JS and the Fender Twin Reverb is 31143. If memory serves on the Fender, he has had it since late 60's early 70's and the JS was bought in 1977. I have a letter from somebody at Gibson dated 1977 and a price list from 1977, I'd guess that was when it was made since he bought it new. I've tried to upload pics of the guitar but it wont let me. It tells me the files are too large. I'll have to figure something else out. Suffice it to say it is in fantastic condition, I haven't found a scratch on it. It truely is a beautiful guitar...and it has a sound that is unbelievable. I appreciate any help and if you'd like to call me my number is 720-252-5500 Thanks

Kennymo

The serial number of the guitar is dated coded "06", which IS 1977.

I can't find my Fender amp serial number list, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Looking forward to the photos.

Here are the pics, I had a bear of a time getting them uploaded, like I said the varnish is not even worn off the neck, It is in pristine condition.

post-44961-099323000 1340727096_thumb.jpg

post-44961-099786400 1340727141_thumb.jpg

As far as value is concerned, you can check competed auctions at ebay to see what prices these have been bringing. Here's the latest list: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_udlo=&_ipg=&_from=R10&_nkw=gibson+%22johnny+smith%22&_mPrRngCbx=1&_armrs=1&_udhi=&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

For a 70's model with a blond finish, I would think somewhere in the $5K to $6K range might be a good estimate in this bad economy. Notice that the '77 blond example in the completed auctions list I linked didn't sell (thus the red text) at a starting bid of $6500.

Sorry for your loss. It looks like your Twin Reverb (Serial# A31143) is from 1971. Can you post a picture of the amp too? For reference, here's a '71 Twin Reverb on eBay that looks in pretty good shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Fender-Twin-Reverb-Amp-Original-And-Clean-/320929733132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8e71a0c

As far as value is concerned, you can check competed auctions at ebay to see what prices these have been bringing. Here's the latest list: http://www.ebay.com/...omplete=1&rt=nc

For a 70's model with a blond finish, I would think somewhere in the $5K to $6K range might be a good estimate in this bad economy. Notice that the '77 blond example in the completed auctions list I linked didn't sell (thus the red text) at a starting bid of $6500.

Thanks Jim

The only difference I see is the corrosion, my dad's guitar has no discoloration on the pickups, that and the number of pickups

Thanks for the info, I think I'm more confused now than ever....BTW, if you'd know me,it's not hard to do. I'd have never thought that Ebay would sell such things. Live and learn.

Thanks again

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful guitar and the amp is in great condition. Hold on to them, they will appreciate and if your a player enjoy them for awhile, Dad played them. Don't be in a hurry to sell either, unless somebody offers a lot of money.

Beautiful guitar.

I agree, hold on to it.

If you can.

If you must part with it.

Which is a difficult decision.

This is a soft market.

I am not fond of ebay.

Private sales (craigslist) can be scary.

Considering the value of the item.

Maybe consignment, with a reputable dealer/store.

El G

Archived