Gibson Brands Forums

could go either way

blindboygrunt

the GPD that i play with has informed me of a 'surprise' for our next gig :-l

a variax guitar , sounds like a synthesiser of the guitar world , sitar , banjo , electric guitar etc.

kinda scary , not the sort of approach to music that i'm a fan of . but i suppose it could be fantastic , anyone ever played with one ?

There's literally no limit to what technology can do. If you can play one instrument, you can play dozens and dozens of them. It's kind of fun to play around with the software, but it's also kind of sad. We're gradually losing something real and tangible: the thing that makes each of us special. That's just my opinion, and it doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong. My perspective is from an era where if you needed to play a banjo, you better learn some banjo. Same for most everything else. Anyway, the guy is a heck-of-a-guitar-player, but judging strictly from the video, he's no pianist. If he can play a keyboard, I'd rather see him do that.....Won't be long you won't need human beings to actually be in movies. Special effects will take care of everything.

There's literally no limit to what technology can do. If you can play one instrument, you can play dozens and dozens of them. It's kind of fun to play around with the software, but it's also kind of sad. We're gradually losing something real and tangible: the thing that makes each of us special. That's just my opinion, and it doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong. My perspective is from an era where if you needed to play a banjo, you better learn some banjo. Same for most everything else. Anyway, the guy is a heck-of-a-guitar-player, but judging strictly from the video, he's no pianist. If he can play a keyboard, I'd rather see him do that.....Won't be long you won't need human beings to actually be in movies. Special effects will take care of everything.

my head works the same MP , could be a lot of fun for pub gigs , but it aint right is it ? :-s

I had a VG Strat a few years ago. Dial in a Tele, sounds like a Tele; dial-in an acoustic-electric, sounds like an acoustic-electric. I sold it after a few months. To me it was too phony and it sent me on a different musical path back to strictly acoustics.

IMHO, it's about the music, not the technology.

MJ

sort of with Tafmutt, I had a Roland/Casio Guitar synth setup back in the mid 90s (the latency-la was brutal)

The variax seems to me some where like a state of the art of version of the same.

I guess if you have some sounds you must have, a handy item but at the same time, the guitar synth just got to be a novelty we didn't need

Archived