Gibson Brands Forums

PICK UP ADVICE-DO NOT LIKE JB-4

RICKYTHEMUSICMAN

Dear All

I am a GIBOSN R8 owner, and I also own a homemade guitar from a Luthier friend. The homemade guitar is LP style mahogany body and 60’s thin neck, maple top, with an ebony finger board. I tried SD JB4 pickup in the bridge and JAZZ, SLASH ANLICO 2 in the neck. However, I am not fully satisfied with the sound. I prefer GIBSON’S thick and warm sound, the JB4 is too brighter and thin to me, and the Slash Anlico2 sounds ok but a little bit lack of characteristic.

Please kindly suggest me a Gibson pickup combination which is suitable for hard rock style/(metal maybe) music according to the specifications of my homemade guitar ^_^

It is burstbucker2 in my R8...

is 57 and 57+ combo suitable for hard rock?post-45057-055985300 1341035545_thumb.jpg

Yes........I do NOT like the standard Gibby 498/490s....I own many guitars, but I usually end up using a specific Gibby LP with a 57 and a 57+

for recording tracks that need HBs......IMHO, they're great for all music styles; rock, jazz, hard rock, and even metal..........

IMHO, they're the best Gibby makes........Sure, many boutique PUs are better overall, but 57s are really great........

I find them cheapest new through "AmplifiedParts", and they pop up used on many guitar forums for about $150.00 a set...Sometimes more, sometimes less....

( That's a very sharp looking Les Paul )....

Like yourself, I too was looking for the Hard Rock tone for some time now. The only Gibson PU I like and respect are the Gibson 57's for their clarity which I have in my L5, CS356 and CS346. The issue with 57's is that you have to depend on your amp gain channel to do all of the dirty work. I started with the stock Gibson 490's and went to the Gibson P94's. Eventually, I decided to go with the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary for clarity and vintage rock output. And for added benefits I coil tapped the 36th for the single coil, woody tone.

In short, I love the combination.

Jazz,

[thumbup]

I would recommend a boutique PU. Depending where you are based, I would try an American or European PU boutique. Since I am based in the Uk,. I can recommend Bareknuckle PUs. Over here they aren't that much more expensive than Gibson PUs (about 20,- more).

For your needs I would recommend Bareknuckle Mules or maybe Riff Raffs. If you are in the U.S. I wouold buy from an American PU maker since I wouldn't want to pay the shipping cost.

All I can say is that BKP PUs sound absolutely stellar and to my ears a lot better than Gibson PUs.

Just my 2c.

IMO Seymour Duncan can satisfy most needs eventually...

EMG's have many aficionados lurking in various places...if metal be near hard rock...

Bare Knuckle have a good reputation and a growing product range

P90's have a biting punch which appeals to many players across the board....

V

:-({|=

Thanks guys~

The opinions are very helpful.

I wrote to Gibson and BareKnucle, their customer service tech suggested CLASSIC 57 and Crawler accordingly.

The tech from BareKnucle said he is surprised that the JB is thin and bright, however, it is just to my ear and compare with my GIBSON R8. Some people may like the brightness, it sounds crystal clean, JB4 is good enough but just not what I am looking for.

I went to the soundclip for Crawler last night, and it is WOW!!!

PS, Crawler has a boosted mid.

That's great Ricky......Some other "boutique" winders are 'Re-Wind', 'Sheptones', and 'Fuelie', ; I own, use, or have used them all.....

'MHD' is selling sets for $140.00 right now....I've never used his PUs though.....

• 2 weeks later...

Over at the Seymour Duncan forum, there is a reallove/hate thing going on with the JB. Mostly centered on the brightness of that pickup.

Some folks use it with a 250K volume pot, to tame the high end.

I've always stood by Wolfetone and the pickups Wolfe makes. They're a little pricey ($100-$150 Per for Humbuckers), but he'll also rewind/change magnets on any pickup you send, to the spec of one of his pickups. For you, I would suggest the Marshallhead with the Alnico 2 mod. If you send one of your Humbuckers in, you can have a boutique pickup for ~$60-$70.

Archived