Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

clarkuss

My Beatles tribute band is playing at the Beatles convention in Liverpool this august and we've been asked to play the whole of Rubber Soul at the Matthew St Festival so to get me in the frame of mind I decided to purchase a cheap 12 string to augment the performance and came across this on ebay. I've had my eyes open for a 60s Framus 12 with trapeze but they're few and far between...

It's an Epiphone PR-650 12 and cost me £175 all in with a soft padded case so I didn't mind taking a gamble. Got to play it for the first time a couple of days ago and the build quality and sound is really nice but the action is a dog!! Going to take it in to the guitar shop who set up all my guitars and see what they can do. I'm hoping that they'll be able to lower the action a great deal and considering a new nut to make the pairings more negotiable. I'm currently having problems using a capo as the higher strings aren't being held down properly because they're sitting lower in the nut than the lower pairings as they're thicker and meet the top of the nut first (if that makes sense?). It's absolutely fine playing in the first position but gets tougher up the neck. Quite a wide neck.

I've played some 6 string PR-350s and 650s and I have to say they were some of nicest Epiphone acoustics I've ever played and consider them hidden gems of the epiphone range (not so much the pr 50,100,200 etc) so a bit disappointed with this one. If it stays as it, I'm going to have to move it on but hopefully I can transform it into an easier playing guitar and start using it on those Beatles songs that need it.

EC5EA1984B194892B424BA07D120B1E7.jpg

30F480556042429D91A69D81ED3ADC75.jpg

9D3F3636802842F0B9F25ED1DD27D451.jpg

A4AD2CF71AC7472D8F79267B7B56DE15.jpg

P.S - I know this isn't an Electric but this is the forum I post the most in and there is little Epi 12 string chat on any of the forums so thought this topic might appeal to a wider audience here. Any further topics about this guitar (new nut and set up etc) will go into the acoustic forum but this was more to say HNGD and post some pictures.

I don't know what capo you're using but I bought a Shubb 12 string capo from Amazon for my Freshman 12 and it's the best I've found. Holds all the strings perfectly. Here's a link http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002E2KJS/ref=asc_df_B0002E2KJS7040889?smid=A1O93PY9YZG2S0&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0002E2KJS

If you ever think of getting a temporary pickup for it the Seymour Duncan Woody works well on a 12.

I don't know what capo you're using but I bought a Shubb 12 string capo from Amazon for my Freshman 12 and it's the best I've found. Holds all the strings perfectly. Here's a link http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002E2KJS/ref=asc_df_B0002E2KJS7040889?smid=A1O93PY9YZG2S0&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0002E2KJS

If you ever think of getting a temporary pickup for it the Seymour Duncan Woody works well on a 12.

Thanks for the reply! I thought there might be a capo for 12 strings. I was just using one of the ones I had around the house and it wasn't applying enough pressure. Will definitely invest in one of these. If all goes well with the guitar set up, I'll be looking for a pick up to use live as well so a very handy post indeed. Thanks again.

I hope your luthier does a good job on the setup for you.

A well set up 12 is a nice thing to play, even though the necks are a bit wide for me.

Cheers Gordy. Have you got a 12 string? I borrowed my girlfriend's Dad's last year for a few weeks to record a demo of Help! and ever since I've wanted one of my own. Mine's going into the shop tomorrow so hopefully it will come out next week feeling like a new guitar. Otherwise it's going back on ebay...

I see that you're from Edmonton. I was there a couple of weeks ago as part of the Beatlemania On Tour show that played at the Jubilee Auditorium. Shame we didn't have this thread before then. I could have gotten you some complimentary tickets. Next time!

Cheers Gordy. Have you got a 12 string? I borrowed my girlfriend's Dad's last year for a few weeks to record a demo of Help! and ever since I've wanted one of my own. Mine's going into the shop tomorrow so hopefully it will come out next week feeling like a new guitar. Otherwise it's going back on ebay...

I see that you're from Edmonton. I was there a couple of weeks ago as part of the Beatlemania On Tour show that played at the Jubilee Auditorium. Shame we didn't have this thread before then. I could have gotten you some complimentary tickets. Next time!

That is a shame. Tickets or not, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

No, unfortunately I don't have a 12 string. Every time I get the urge to buy one, it always comes to me that there are only a small group of songs that really need one. :unsure:

Archived