Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior

truetone6

I got a used Les Paul Junior BJA a couple of weeks ago at my local store. When I first saw it on the wall I thought was a vintage Les Paul Junior (there is some natural weather checking that makes it look older). When I asked what it was they told me it was a Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior.It's a 2006 model and somebody changed the tuners to Grovers.Also the original leopard lined case is gone but it did come with a Gibson Les Paul Junior case with a white lining.

It's a nice guitar,full gloss finish and a one piece mahogany body,almost like a custom shop except it has a thinner neck. Actually the finish looks a little different. The custom shop is a darker sunburst like a 57 and this guitar is more yellow like a '59.

DSCF3047.jpg

DSCF3049.jpg

DSCF3050.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF3052.jpg

It sounded good when I got it but I had my friend Ted Vig install a Gibson "Super Vintage" P-90 pick-up and rewire it with 2 Dimarzio 500K pots and a .022 Orangdrop cap and now it sounds awesome!

DSCF3155.jpg

DSCF3161.jpg

This is what the original H-90 pick-up looks like. It is actually 2 P-90s sandwiched together,not a P-90 and a dummy coil(P-100)

DSCF3182.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

DSCF3180.jpg

The color of the 2006 BJA looks more like this is a 1959 Les Paul Junior(below)

atc+4.jpg

The 1956 Junior(left) had a more orangey sunburst

1956_gibson_les_paul_guitar20b-1-1.jpgDSCF3047-1-1-1.jpg

Gibson changed the color of the BJA in 2009 to look more like a 1956(Billie Joe's Junior "Floyd" is a '56)

p1_ubxgb3r5k_so.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got a new case for my Junior.The neck doesn't lay flat in the regular Les Paul case. I wanted to get one of the original leopard skin cases but they cost too much on Ebay so I got this one instead.

DSCF3557.jpg

I got the Junior the Firebird and the Zen-On guitar at the same local store.

DSCF3636.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am pretty sure the H-90 is an actual P-90 on the top coil, and a smaller coil on the bottom. Thus, it is NOT a true humbucker because the coils are not close enough to be balenced to reduce hum.

I am pretty sure the P-100 is two very HOT coils (13+ ohms) stacked and wired out-of-phase, which is why they lack harmonics and sound so dull. Output similar to a P-90, same tonal range, but not the same in how the respond or react.

The H-90 is actually a good sounding pup, and when using just the top coil, is essentailly the same as a P-90 with the OPTION of being able to add more by using the second coil. I have heard of poeple asking for them, and Gibson doesn't sell them. (Although, I think those looking for them are under the impression it is a humbucker).

Archived