Gibson Brands Forums

for FB and EA

blindboygrunt

just got a facebook notice that local guitar shop has revieved a shipment of Maton acoustics .

any you two guys heard of them ?

they start at £645 :-s

i'm asking the antipodeans , but if anyone else knows chirp in

Even non guitar players in Oz know 'em- they are ubiquitous here- a default choice. I'm pretty sure EA is not that keen from some previous comments.

I still have one.An EM-325.a squarish shoulder dread.Solid Spruce Top.Lam Mahog back and sides.25 years old.My first"good"guitar.

They have really good pick ups I think..That's why they are so popular here.A very good gigging guitar.I think you'd be a little disappointed by their straight acoustic tone compared to your J-45.They are heavily built.I'd rate them second tier below Gibsons and Martins.

But many here rate them higher.Ben Harper, Neil Finn and Jack Johnson play them.But you'll enjoy trying them out i'm sure.

To me Matons are a case of two extremes.

They have one of the best plugged in tone and one of the worst acoustic tones Ive come across.

Starting with the good, their pickup really does deliver a great live tone, and in Australia its the workhorse of professionals musos because its so reliable and solid live.

Acoustically I found them to be overbuilt with a thin tone that lacks any real depth or resonance. And this is across the entry level and high end guitars.

So, given I would never buy an acoustic just for the pickup overall I give Matons a big thumbs down .. [thumbdn]

They seem to be all about the plugged tone, TE does play them, but his most famous one is called 'mouse' in a reference to its acoustic tone. To be fair, he's been very succinct in that he cares little about its unplugged sound, only the plugged tone. Although I suspect TE's touch could make a 50 quid banger sound pretty tasty.

Probably not something I would spend a lot of cash on myself, but if a ridiculous bargain came my way I'd maybe take a punt purely for the plugged sounds and feedback resistance of an overbuilt guitar.

Yeah, if one suddenly became available cheaply I would consider it as live beater type guitar as it could take the beating and deliver a good plugged in tone.

And I could use it smack over the head a heckler that's gone too far ..

Yeah, if one suddenly became available cheaply I would consider it as live beater type guitar as it could take the beating and deliver a good plugged in tone.

I'm thinking my carbon fiber guitar would be good for that. It has the right kind of heft to use it like a cricket/baseball bat.

haha....mine looks like the super mojoed A Lewis model-bumps, lumps, scratches, smoke burns....but I don't think I'll get 10 grand for it!

Archived