Gibson Brands Forums

Problem wiring up a pickup in a G-400

EvoRider

I have had this guitar for a little over a year. (Bought it new) I decided to upgrade my bridge pickup. I bought a new Angus Young signature pickup got it in instaled it in the guitar wired it up like the instructions said. and i could barley here it thru my Marshall class 5 amp. tried the wiring for out of phase also. couldnt here it at all.. I dont know what to do i have done this very same thing last week when i bought a used Angus signature pickup off craiglist. I thought something was wrong with it that is why i bought a new one... I can Reinstall my orginal Epiphone pickup and it sounds fine. the orginal pickup had 2 wires (white and a bare) it says G-400 bridge on the pickup.. am i doing something wrong??

Since the low volume problem happens with a used and new p'up, it's for sure not a problem pickup. The G-400 has 2 vol. and 2 tone pots. Does your Angus p'up have 4 conductors ? You may need to combine two conductors to the volume pot. One thing that it could be is a bad volume pot. When I drop in new pickups, I always buy a new volume & tone pots and caps. It's best to change all 4 pots now since you are all ready working with the electronics. Also, install a new Switchcraft 3 position switch. [This pickup problem could also be bad switch} Replace it. Think about installing Mallory 150 caps, or Sozo caps, at least orange drops. It's a good policy to upgrade Epi pots anyway...they are not as reliable or long lasting as a new CTS pots. Don't forget the switch. Finally: If you can get yourself some "Gibson-Type wiring or just new and better wiring it really sanitizes your electronics and with all of these changes made...I guarantee she will sound like "a new guitar". Good Luck/Good Health.

Since the low volume problem happens with a used and new p'up, it's for sure not a problem pickup. The G-400 has 2 vol. and 2 tone pots. Does your Angus p'up have 4 conductors ? You may need to combine two conductors to the volume pot. One thing that it could be is a bad volume pot. When I drop in new pickups, I always buy a new volume & tone pots and caps. It's best to change all 4 pots now since you are all ready working with the electronics. Also, install a new Switchcraft 3 position switch. [This pickup problem could also be bad switch} Replace it. Think about installing Mallory 150 caps, or Sozo caps, at least orange drops. It's a good policy to upgrade Epi pots anyway...they are not as reliable or long lasting as a new CTS pots. Don't forget the switch. Finally: If you can get yourself some "Gibson-Type wiring or just new and better wiring it really sanitizes your electronics and with all of these changes made...I guarantee she will sound like "a new guitar". Good Luck/Good Health.

I can reinstall the orginal epiphone pickup and it work like it always have... I dont think there is anything wrong with the volume pot. if so the orginal pickup would not work. now if i install Both of the angus young pickups it does not have any volume to it. but the orginal works fine... I guess i will have to use the orginal..... I called gibson and there answer was take the pickup back and get a new one......

well i did figure something out i can maker the new Angus Young sig pickupwork by undoing the tone pot wire off the volume pot 3 leg. Is this some normal?? but when i do this my tone pot does not work.

well i did figure something out i can maker the new Angus Young sig pickupwork by undoing the tone pot wire off the volume pot 3 leg. Is this some normal?? but when i do this my tone pot does not work.

is there a capacitor between the volume and tone pots?

I think i have a bad volume pot. What can i use to replace it. will the Gibson pot work? And if so which ones do i need for my G-400. i might as well change them all..

Without a picture, or diagram of what you are doing, it is tough to help you.

If you get volume when you remove the wire to the tone pot, then it is a wiring issue, not a volume pot issue.

I am not familiar with the pups you are using. so as I said, without pics or a diagram, we're shooting in the dark.

I hope you're not insulted by my list of questions, I have no way of knowing what your skill level is, and I do want to help. [biggrin]

Did the new pickup come with a diagram showing which wire is which? (You can not rely on using the same color wires for every pickup.)

Have you made certain the 2 wires that interconnect the coils are a good connection? (Most of the time this is a red and a white wire, but not always. I am also assuming a "Standard" wiring pattern is being used. No coil splitting or anything different.)

Are the ground connections strong all the way through the guitar, or is there a loose wire somewhere? (Loose or intermittent ground is a very common problem.)

Are you wiring to Epi/Gibson standard connections, or going to the Jimmy Page connections? (Make sure your diagram is correct.)

If you take pics, you will have to describe which wire is which, and where it goes so we can help.

Without a picture, or diagram of what you are doing, it is tough to help you.

If you get volume when you remove the wire to the tone pot, then it is a wiring issue, not a volume pot issue.

I am not familiar with the pups you are using. so as I said, without pics or a diagram, we're shooting in the dark.

I hope you're not insulted by my list of questions, I have no way of knowing what your skill level is, and I do want to help. [biggrin]

Did the new pickup come with a diagram showing which wire is which? (You can not rely on using the same color wires for every pickup.)

Have you made certain the 2 wires that interconnect the coils are a good connection? (Most of the time this is a red and a white wire, but not always. I am also assuming a "Standard" wiring pattern is being used. No coil splitting or anything different.)

Are the ground connections strong all the way through the guitar, or is there a loose wire somewhere? (Loose or intermittent ground is a very common problem.)

Are you wiring to Epi/Gibson standard connections, or going to the Jimmy Page connections? (Make sure your diagram is correct.)

If you take pics, you will have to describe which wire is which, and where it goes so we can help.

I found out i had a bad pot... I guess i got it a little hot trying to remove and reinstall pickups.. now i just need sombody to repair my Old AY signature pickup. I put the new one back in the box for when i save up for a Gibson SG....

Archived