Gibson Brands Forums

[SEARCH] GIBSON blues king l-00 LEFTY

wayfarer

Hi!

I've been searching quite a while now for a gibson blues king. the real problem now really is, that i am a lefthand and it seems as there are no gibson l-00s anywhere or even in progress to be build. is there someone who could help me out, some hints where to look for one or even if they are produced (when,where).

thanks,

wayfarer

When I saw a L-00 Legend at Music Villa this year at Homecoming, I wanted to just buy it and have them lefty-ize it for me. We called over to the plant and Ren said just flipping it would not work. The sound wouldn't be the same and if I wanted the pick guard on the proper side it would leave a mark where they pulled it off. He recommended just having a left handed model made up. It's kind of custom shop, but kind of not, since it goes through the regular production line but with a flag on it to make it lefty. On some guitars it doesn't make much difference (except for the pickguard) because the bracing inside is symmetrical but on others, the bracing isn't so the sound will be different when it's flipped. I guess it depends on if you're willing to wait a bit for one to be made for you (and also the cost, since you can't really get it used. Unless you're really lucky).

Anne

but doesn't "custom" also mean -->more expense?

here in germany i think it might be pretty hard to get a custom version, especially down in munich. there might be a custom shop in the north, like berlin or so, but i won't go there.

also it still takes me some time to collect the money i need (which is how much?).

Well, the cost depends on who you order from. I got my L-00 from Music Villa in Bozeman and they didn't charge me any extra for it being left-handed. If you order a regular production model it doesn't really count as custom, unless you want stuff added that they don't normally include. But if the only difference is that it's lefty, many dealers don't really charge a premium. You kind of have to check around, maybe get some quotes from different places.

Good luck

Anne

Thank you.

But do you also think that it is possible to order it via internet ,e.g. the music villa as you did, and they would then send it to germany (to another music shop where i can pick it up)?

Maybe i'll just try to get in contact with gibson personally.

Hello wayfarer,

I just got my new left-handed Gibson acoustic a couple of days ago. It is a CJ-165 rosewood and it is the real deal. I ordered it through Dave's Guitars in La Crosse, Wisconsin USA. There was a $100 "up charge" for having a left-handed acoustic built for me at the Gibson facility in Bozeman. And it took just over 8 weeks to be delivered to Dave's. I do know that Dave's Guitars works with people all over the world. Give them a call.

Randy

hey thanks!

I just talked to my dad, and he meant something like "gibson factos must be able to send their products to gibson europe, because there are only custom shops in the US". i think that he's right. maybe the easiest thing will be to call gibson custom directly and hand them my order. but i'll keep the shop you named in mind. thank you.

in what price range is a new legend l-00?

price range on new legend l-00 is anywhere from high 4's to 6 thousand dollars!

oy!

i recently bought an '01 L-00 and i love it!

got it for a thousand dollars on craigslist.com

Paul McCartney had a similar issue with his epiphone texan...he was a lefty during a time when there werent too many lefty guitars...he bought and epi texan...and just reversed it...you can see pics of him playing with the pickguard on top instead of the bottom...i am sure some will say it affects the tone...and i bet science proves that fact as well, but in my opinion...it didnt seem to stop Paul, and he wrote "Yesterday" on that thing for God sakes...

i say get a good guitar...if its a lefty...bonus! if not just have it flipped and play the hell out of it...on a side note...if i didnt find that L-00 so reasonably priced i was saving up to get an Epi Texan...(about $2100-2800 US) and they make those in lefty versions and to McCartney's specs...check those out...in fact i will too...i still might want it!

hey thanks!

I just talked to my dad' date=' and he meant something like "gibson factos must be able to send their products to gibson europe, because there are only custom shops in the US". i think that he's right. maybe the easiest thing will be to call gibson custom directly and hand them my order. but i'll keep the shop you named in mind. thank you.[/quote']

You won't be able to place your order directly with Gibson in Bozeman. It has to go through one of their authorized dealers. I'm sure that Music Villa in Bozeman or Guitars Etc. in Longmont, Colorado can take your order and ship it to you. There are other dealers as well. If you need contact information, send me a PM.

price range on new legend l-00 is anywhere from high 4's to 6 thousand dollars!

oy!

i recently bought an '01 L-00 and i love it!

got it for a thousand dollars on craigslist.com

Paul McCartney had a similar issue with his epiphone texan...he was a lefty during a time when there werent too many lefty guitars...he bought and epi texan...and just reversed it...you can see pics of him playing with the pickguard on top instead of the bottom...i am sure some will say it affects the tone...and i bet science proves that fact as well' date=' but in my opinion...it didnt seem to stop Paul, and he wrote "Yesterday" on that thing for God sakes...

quote']

not to mention the detroit red wings sticker he stuck on it at during a wings show in '77!

paulieguitar-2.jpg

okey. i am about to search for some righty l-00s in the area. if a make a good deal i get one. if not' date=' i'll save money and get a lefty from the US.

[/quote']

That's your decision, since it's your money. But like I believe someone already mentioned, you can't turn a right handed model into a left handed model by just changing the pickguard and strings around. The bracing is different and they would also have to be changed. In my opinion, I think you'd later regret it.

a little post away from the gibson l-00. i have an epiphone sheraton 2 right here. which i bought 2 years ago, always having the elitist riviera in my mind back then. how would the quality of tone change if i just flipped it - especially the strings, because of the special backpiece (there is no lefty riviera).

here the link:

EPIPHONE RIVIERA NICK VALENSI

a little post away from the gibson l-00. i have an epiphone sheraton 2 right here. which i bought 2 years ago' date=' always having the elitist riviera in my mind back then. how would the quality of tone change if i just flipped it - especially the strings, because of the special backpiece (there is no lefty riviera).

here the link:

EPIPHONE RIVIERA NICK VALENSI

I would think you'd have the same problem. You mentioned the tone, but I believe they also brace them differently to give more support to the side with the heavier strings, otherwise you may end up with damage to the top at some point if you were to just switch things around.

Have you ever considered learning how to play right-handed? It might be easier. biggrin.gif/

Archived