Gibson Brands Forums

Made in USA ?

RStabe

no. that's not true. they have used german hardware for years. also, the wood is not domestic to start with. it simply has to be a significant portion. read here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm

if you go through it, you will read examples about products made in the usa with some foreign parts.... that can still be claimed as made here.

Guest alanhindle

I would argue we should distinguish the difference between 'made' and 'assembled' when it comes to a guitar. To me, where the guitar has its wood cut, is sprayed, laquered, has hardware added and electronics fitted etc. etc. is where the guitar is made. If the hardware has to come from Germany and the mahogany from South America to ensure that the best quality materials and components are used, then so much the better. Something like a strat could theoretically have all the pieces made and sprayed in one country and subsequently be put together in another, but I would doubt you could do it with a Gibson.

Alan

no' date=' that would be assembled in the USA. if is is made in the USA, all hardware is made in the USA as well.[/quote']

I disagree. There are Made in USA Gibson guitars that have a BRAZILIAN rosewood fingerboards. Here's a bunch and this is only acoustics http://www.elderly.com/brand/20U_gibson.html they put the Brazialian fingerboards on banjos, electrics...and claim made in USA. That is only what is obvious, as an end user, we have no idea every part comes from.

Advertising guidelines are convoluted and rarely enforced. Consider WalMart has been sued several times in the last few years for claiming'/advertising Made in USA on many goods that are not. Did it stop them? no.

There is so much deliberately deceptive advertising, hyperbolic claims, legal speak nowadays that made in the USA does not mean the entire guitar was made in the USA. Some parts are made here, shipped elsewhere, shipped back, painted another place, assembled elsewhere, and finally, setup in the US, and in the end of all that, claimed to be made in the USA.

Good example is American cars made in USA. Look under the hood, German brake cyldinder, French transmission, a mixture of international parts...and some hardware is metric, some standard. Only a certain % makes it qualified to claim made in USA. Another example is decaf coffee, its allowed to have a certain amount of caffeine in it.

As much as I love Gibson, they are a company driven by profits and they too would benefit by pushing the advertising envelope same as every other business.

My favorite advertising gaff is "New & Improved" it can't be both.

Im just glad that the "not" made in usa is not usaually a bad thing anymore. The asians have come a long way no doubt. When I was a tyke, made in Japan meant crapolla and made in China was a joke. Gotta run....my Toyota is runnin! :-$

I think taking pride in ones Country is a good thing. It's somehow gotten uncool, and that, to me, is sad.

As an American, we took great pride in our guns, guitars, cars, trucks, ect. I always had respect for Swiss Watches. German steel. Japanese electronics.

It's all a big global blend now that has no respect, no liability, no pride, and no concern.

It's all subcontracted out.

Best to ya.

Murph.

I think taking pride in ones Country is a good thing. It's somehow gotten uncool' date=' and that, to me, is sad.

As an American, we took great pride in our guns, guitars, cars, trucks, ect. I always had respect for Swiss Watches. German steel. Japanese electronics.

It's all a big global blend now that has no respect, no liability, no pride, and no concern.

It's all subcontracted out.

Best to ya.

Murph.[/quote']

To be quite frank, the chinese wont have to take over the world. They will just buy it!!! Think Im jokin??

Archived