Gibson Brands Forums

Which one is it?

SurfingWombat

J-45 Legend. It's the only current model with a 19-fret board, firestripe pickguard, small slot-through bridge, and "darkburst" top and binding, to the best of my knowledge. Some of these apparently have the pickguard overlapping the rosette, like this one.

thanks nick for your response. only thing that made me think was the white bridge pins on it...on the gibson site the legend has black ones. But no big deal i think your right!

Even on the Legend models, some of the details vary from guitar to guitar. My L-OO Legend, for example, has the gold script logo rather than the white logo, even though it replicates a 1937 L-OO. And the J-45 in this picture has the odd (to me) pickguard placement, I just accept stuff like this as part of the "Gibson experience".

The Legends are still very nice guitars. I was tempted to buy one of these J-45's before I bought my Fuller's 1943 SJ. I don't dare buy another guitar right now: I literally have no place to put one. Unless it's something I really can't pass up.....

Mine has white pins.

Red 333

I just watched some offerings from dealers and indeed all of them had white ones... XD `Only gibsonsite is good enough for black ones` :)

Probably i can add a question in this thread. I changed my strings on the j-45 tv and noticed that the bridge pins has slots...but my bridge is slotted too. Is a slotted bridge not meant to use some solid pins? Just curious.

I just watched some offerings from dealers and indeed all of them had white ones... XD `Only gibsonsite is good enough for black ones` :)

Probably i can add a question in this thread. I changed my strings on the j-45 tv and noticed that the bridge pins has slots...but my bridge is slotted too. Is a slotted bridge not meant to use some solid pins? Just curious.

I think, if I correctly digested the epic thread around six months ago about the purported virtues of solid pins and slotted bridges, the bridge is not actually truly slotted on any Gibsons that have not been interfered with in a warranty-threatening way. Rather, what you are seeing on your J45 are string guides in the top of the bridge. Below the surface those grooves don't continue, and so you still need slotted pins to handle what goes on beneath. If you prefer: what you see on your TV is intended to be that way - do not adjust your set.

I think, if I correctly digested the epic thread around six months ago about the purported virtues of solid pins and slotted bridges, the bridge is not actually truly slotted on any Gibsons that have not been interfered with in a warranty-threatening way. Rather, what you are seeing on your J45 are string guides in the top of the bridge. Below the surface those grooves don't continue, and so you still need slotted pins to handle what goes on beneath. If you prefer: what you see on your TV is intended to be that way - do not adjust your set.

thanks for the clarification.. [thumbup]

Archived