Gibson Brands Forums

Who is original designer of the SG?

10K-DB

Ted McCarty designed it around 1959-1960 according to my research:

My link -

"The Flying V, the Explorer and the elusive Moderne were all offered in 1959. But sales of these extreme instruments were dismal. Gibson was looking to produce a twin cutaway, solid body instrument, to boost sales and cut costs. McCarty came up with the Les Paul SG."

My link -

"McCarty was also responsible for the development of the Tune-o-matic bridge system, the humbucking pickup, and the Explorer, Flying V, Moderne, SG and Firebird guitars."

Ted Mccarty was a good friend of my 91 yr old grandfathers! My gpa is still kickin around at 91 and im thankful for him as he taught me a bunch about a whole lot, now if i could just remember half the chit he tought me???!!! LOL! I guess their friendship was based on creation as they both like to "tinker".

Ill see if i can get him to throw me some interesting facts about ol Teddy.

I saw an interview with Mr. Les Paul. He was going through a divorce and he gave up(not renewed) one of the two contracts. So he kept the Les Paul model and did not renew the other one (Solid Guitar). This happens to be a bigger seller than the Les Paul model.... he later renewed it; but maintained the SG name.

Agreed, but the fact that horns are not a mirror reflection of each other [ unlike the 335 ]

is a continued source of annoyance to me, as it is the upper one sticks out further that the lower one,

this imbalance, while not detracting from the beauty, is rather unsettling.

but it makes a great carry handle.....like the upper horn on a Strat

Archived