Gibson Brands Forums

EF 500RCCE Size

DennisB643

I recently bought a DR500RCCE and wanted to add a EF500RCCE that I saw on ebay. My only hesitation if the body size. I have a strong preference for large or jumbo body guitars but like the wider fret/fingerpicking guitars as well. So how much smaller is the EF anyway?

I have heard them described as a 000 body size. I played one once and was pretty impressed.

If it's of any help. the guitar has the virtually same dimensions as a Gibson CJ-165. Either guitar fits quite snugly in the case for the other.

The EF is a smaller body..definately. I like large body guitars as well. The EF is like the 000 body size. I would recommend a larger body like the Masterbilt AJ-500M which is still available at GuitarCenter and MusiciansFriend. You will not be disappointed with it. I have one. And it is a full body, full sound, solid wood delight to the ears! Good luck! There are major $100.00 off Labor Day sales presently going on now, and an AJ-500M could be had for just over $400. And that's a steal for these jems!

I actually came across one at Bill's Music House in Md. I just can't warm up to that smaller body size. I have more of an affinity for the AJ than I do the EF. At this point I'm just going to keep saving for that J-45 and get the real deal.

I think you and others here have to consider that there are those who DO favor the smaller body size, perhaps including our post-er (and he already does have a dreadnought, right?). They have their uses; I generally favor a smaller body guitar for playing acoustic blues (full disclosure, though: my main machine is an AJ500RC-12fret job, but that's an extreme exception. My back-up is parlor-size). Some might like the high-end cutting power, or the muted bass w/damping with the smaller body, for example.

Came very close once to getting the EF500RCCE--gone before I showed with the money.

I think you and others here have to consider that there are those who DO favor the smaller body size, perhaps including our post-er (and he already does have a dreadnought, right?). They have their uses; I generally favor a smaller body guitar for playing acoustic blues (full disclosure, though: my main machine is an AJ500RC-12fret job, but that's an extreme exception. My back-up is parlor-size). Some might like the high-end cutting power, or the muted bass w/damping with the smaller body, for example.

Came very close once to getting the EF500RCCE--gone before I showed with the money.

Oh you are right, I'm sure they definetely have their advantages. The first Epi I owned in the 70's was a 000 size (if memory serves me correctly) and even then I wasn't happy with the body size. Just something that I just can't get used to I guess. To each his own...I have a affinity for blond guitars (maple sides and back) as well.

Oh you are right, I'm sure they definetely have their advantages. The first Epi I owned in the 70's was a 000 size (if memory serves me correctly) and even then I wasn't happy with the body size. Just something that I just can't get used to I guess. To each his own...I have a affinity for blond guitars (maple sides and back) as well.

Very interesting! I have had a maple fetish for a while, too, once I played the Gibson CJ165 with the maple body. It got my guitar search going back in the day ('05-ish?), but I didn't have the +/- $2,000. for it. Parkwood had a pretty nice jumbo maple-bodied job for a while there. When I played the Masterbilts, though, other horizons appeared. I DID have an Epi PR6 (maple lam body) for a while as a backup, a very fine guitar, but it wasn't the right for what I was doing.

I have also liked the Epi OOO-sized models from the '70's, and they're good 'n' cheap. Nice thumpy low end.

Archived