Gibson Brands Forums

Sticky body

Mij

Hi, I bought a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III last (2011) but it has spent most of it's time in it's case. Reason: babying it as separation noticed between neck and finger board and around head stock. Nothing too serious but it is concerning so I didn't want to use it too much until I had the money to get it looked at.The problem I have now is that the last couple of times I've looked at it I've noticed a sticky residue/film on most parts of the body. I've wiped it(damp and dry cloth)but it has not succeeded. I have not used any cleaning product on it (although don't know if the previous owner did use something on it)

Does anyone have similar experience? How can I fix it? PLEASE

you might try to check this stuff out.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

many of us use this stuff, and we all are really happy with results

the separation comment is concerning...

Perhaps the guitar was not properly protected from moisture and dryness (climate stuff)

pics would help if you are looking for further ideas on what's going on there.

/KB

The former owner may have used something to put a shine on it that's broken down in the case. I would start by trying to clean a small area with the hand cleaners like Goop for mechanics. They gently clean residues like that. Just hope it's not a lacquer.

Is it odorless?

So I saw your photos, I'm no expert, but could very well be a result of improper storage or management of climate control. One of the small giveaways is the little hair line splits seen at the fret ends where the frets terminated at the binding. That is caused by the wood swelling and shrinking in moist and dryer times of the year, (the frets of course, aren't going to move, but the wood and bindings will. So for the separation problem, it's likely the glue that was used to anchor the fretboard to the neck came mailable enough to allow it to lift off the mahogany surface and where the ebony overlay was glued at the headstock. But I would think that would also indicate something extreme tho. like being left in a hot car, or stored in a hot attic If you've got anyone in the area that's a good repair/restoration guy, maybe have a chat with him see what he thinks ought to be done. He could say "leave it be"

Yes the last guy I took it to told me the same thing, although the original owner swears on a stack of bibles nothing like that occurred, oh well move on. So the guy (techie) advises leave it be, and keep it in a cool dry area, it may stay the same and not have damaging result. It doesn't create problems when playing, but it does look a bit odd.

Yes the last guy I took it to told me the same thing, although the original owner swears on a stack of bibles nothing like that occurred, oh well move on. So the guy (techie) advises leave it be, and keep it in a cool dry area, it may stay the same and not have damaging result. It doesn't create problems when playing, but it does look a bit odd.

well you have the right approach, move on. I just can't think of anything else that could do that to the neck and headstock. The small binding cracks at where the frets and binding meets is pretty common on guitars with binding like this, and it's just about ALWAYS due to improper humidity (or lack thereof) control. I've got a 95 LP Standard, as well as a 2002 LP standard, they're in the cases when they're not in use, and stored in a closet. no binding cracks on either neck.

Good luck Mij, One of my buds has one of these, nice guitars.

/KB

Archived