Gibson Brands Forums

'71 Kalamazoo by Gibson SG body style

swamprock

Those came out in the mid-'60's. The first ones had a body shape that resembled the Fender Mustang--the SG-shaped ones didn't come out until about '67. The only ones I've ever seen, of either shape, had either one or two single-coil pickups, similar to the ones used on Gibson Melody Makers, but with white covers. Body finishes were red, white, or blue, with white pickguards. I've never seen a black one, or one with a humbucker, but then I've never seen one that late, either--I didn't know those were produced into the '70's. That one is strung wrong, too--the strings are supposed to feed through the bridge from the front (pickup) side and wrap over, hence the term "wrapover bridge".

The bass player in the first band I was ever in back in '85 had a Kalamazoo bass. It was the SG body style in red. It was actually a pretty decent sounding bass. I think these have the same pickups as an EB-0.

Jfine do you know if the guitars actually have the same pickups as a Melody Maker with different covers, or were they just similar?

Archived