Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Joint

Mats A

Does the 2011 made Les Paul Traditional have a shorter neck joimt than a Custom Shop Les Paul R8?

I am not sure this helps but it is from a Guitar Player article:

Just as there are differences in the virtues of the way different bolt-on neck joints are constructed, there is certainly more than just one standard of glued-neck joint design. Gibson has used a number of different types of glued-neck joints over the years. Most lauded is a mortise-and-tenon joint known as the “long-tenon,”—which was used on the early Les Pauls. This design had a long extension—or tenon—at the end of the neck that sat tightly in the long neck pocket (mortise) into which it was glued. Around the time Gibson moved general Les Paul production from Kalamazoo, Michigan, to Nashville, Tennessee, in the mid 1970s, the model’s neck joint was changed to a short-tenon design. This is also referred to as a “rocker joint,” because the underside of the tenon is carved out to allow the neck to be rocked into the pocket to set the correct angle. This also means a large portion of the underside is not glued into the body, and the neck/body joint comprises less surface area overall. While no one debates the glory of an original 1959 Les Paul—or a great Gibson Custom Shop reproduction of the same—plenty of short-tenon Les Pauls sound fantastic. Gibson uses other joints on different models, as well. For example, there’s a block joint on the toneful single-cutaway Les Paul Junior, with a block as wide as the neck itself that extends no further than the end of the fretboard. Other makers of set-neck electrics use a dovetail joint, with a neck block that fans out into a pocket with angled sides.

I am interested in this myself. My gut tells me that not counting the Custom Shop reissues Gibson uses the shorter style. I am going to research this a bit further and if I come up with anything I will post it here.

Boys.

He has asked this question on at LEAST three forums already.

And has been answered on at LEAST two.

Check his posts and notice a pattern?

You will.

Thanks for the heads up. I spent a bit of time researching this to try and help the guy out. Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished.

Archived